Chapter ninety seven: A polite wave goodbye

Everyone was excited for the pool party. Adriana and Miguel had already invited some friends from school and Emilio and Amelia had gone home to get their swimsuits and to invite Ruben. According to Mirabel, we were going to host the party right there in Casita. She told us to get changed into our swimsuits and then meet her in the common area of Casita but I wanted to invite one more person.

I grabbed Camilo's wrist before he could run up to his room to change.

"Huh?" Camilo said, turning to look at me "What's up?"

"I wanna invite someone!" I replied cheerfully.

"Oh, sure!" Camilo said, smiling at me happily "We can go over to their house and invite them! I'll take you if you like, I know where everyone lives."

"That's creepy" I said, jokingly.

"No, it isn't!" Camilo protested "I'm a Madrigal, I have to help around town, I just learned where everyone lives along the years!"

"It was a joke, Cami," I said, laughing a little. "Sure, I would love for you to help. I'm not sure where he lives anyway."

"He?" Camilo asked hesitantly "Um...Who exactly do you want to invite?"

"Hugo," I answered calmly.

Camilo's breath hitched and his eyes widened. He looked like he was sinking into his thoughts. He was probably trying to figure out why I wanted to invite him, especially after what Hugo did.

"W-Why?" Camilo asked "But he- Y/n, I don't think that's a good idea..."

"Camilo" I said, moving my hand to hold his "Trust me, okay?"

Camilo thought for a moment before taking a deep breath.

"Okay" Camilo said "But be warned, Hugo is super hard to find outside of school. It's like he disappears as soon as the final bell rings."

"Let's just go to his house and try, okay?" I said, giving Camilo a soft smile.

He smiled back and nodded.

"Uh, Mirabel!" Camilo called "Y/n's gonna invite someone and I'm gonna show them where to go!"

Mirabel shot us a thumbs up, not looking away from the table she was having Luisa set down. As soon as Camilo and I got Mirabel's approval, we walked towards the front door of Casita, hand in hand. We went through the winding streets of Encanto until we made it to one of the more well-off neighborhoods.

The houses here were bigger than the houses everywhere else. They were almost as big as Casita! These houses belonged to the richer residents, the families that had wealthy merchants in them. I had a hard time believing that Hugo lived here. He surely didn't act like someone with wealthy parents.

We made it to the end of the street, where the largest house stood. The house had tall stone walls surrounding it and I could hear the sound of guard dogs barking inside.

"This is where Hugo lives?" I asked in disbelief, staring up at the huge metal gate "Is he rich or something?"

"His dad is loaded," Camilo answered, ringing the doorbell "And now we wait."

We waited for a moment and then we heard someone calming down the guard dogs within the walls. Footsteps drew closer to the metal gate and eventually, a tall boy that looked somewhat like an older version of Hugo creaked open the gate just enough to step outside.

"Hello, welcome to the Galvez residence" the boy said in a dignified manner, putting his left hand over his chest "Camilo, it's nice to see you again and Y/n, it's nice to finally meet you."

I didn't know who he was but it was obvious that he knew who I was. I had so many questions swimming around my head. I wondered who that boy was, what his relation was to Hugo and why he and Hugo acted so differently despite looking so similar. I decided to silence my mind for the time being and do my best to be polite.

"Hello! Camilo and I are here for Hugo" I said "Is he home?"

The boy's face contorted a bit. He grinded his teeth slightly and furrowed his eyebrows as his shoulders tensed. He quickly changed his expression back into the calm smile that he had greeted us with.

"Hugo is here, yes" he answered "He's in the music room, practicing his piano."

"Hugo plays piano?" I asked, clearly shocked.

The boy let out a soft chuckle, covering his mouth.

"Would you like to come inside?" he asked "I'm sure Hugo would be delighted to see you. He talks about you quite a bit."

"Of course he does," Camilo said bitterly, barely over a whisper.

The boy turned his attention to Camilo for a moment with a sad expression. He seemed to know about Camilo and Hugo's strained relationship. He was quick to change the subject.

"Oh, I'm sorry, where are my manners?" the boy said "I haven't even introduced myself! My name is Rayan Galvez, I am Hugo's older brother."

'That explains the resemblance' I thought.

"Come in!" Rayan said, pushing the gates open for Camilo and I to enter. "Do not mind the dogs, they are friendly, just protective."

I looked to Camilo to see him hesitant to walk through the gate. I gave him a reassuring smile that seemed to calm him down. He took my hand and walked inside. A dog began barking angrily at Camilo and I, probably since we weren't people that it recognized.

"Shh-Shh!" Rayan hushed "They're guests!"

The dog obediently backed off and ran back to the others. Rayan then led us inside the huge house, holding the door for us. The house was decorated in luxurious furniture that had to have come from outside the Encanto, which was very expensive. The house had high ceilings that had candle lit chandeliers hanging from it above the living room. The living room had plush, cedar coloured couches with some red embroidered pillows surrounding a wooden table that had a beige rug underneath it. There were a couple of lit candles and a bonsai tree sitting on top of it.

The walls were covered in pictures of Hugo's family and award certificates that were hung in ornate, gold painted frames. The house was also littered with trophy cases, medals, ribbons. This family sure had a lot of impressive achievements.

'Do some of these belong to Hugo?' I thought to myself.

"Rayan! Practice your marimba!" a voice yelled from another room.

"Of course, mama!" Rayan replies loudly before turning back towards Camilo and I "I'm sorry, I have to do as my mother says, I'm practicing for a competition!"

Rayan then pointed down one of the hallways as he jogged in the other direction.

"Hugo is in the room at the very end of the hallway," Rayan told us, stopping in front of a door in another hallway.

He grabbed the doorknob but stopped before he turned it.

"Oh, and Y/n" he said, turning towards me for the last time before entering the room "Welcome!"

He entered the room with a polite wave goodbye and a soft smile on his face.

-----

Did I forget to mention that Hugo is fucking R I C H? Well, he is. You'll find out why soon enough.

The pool party is coming, I promise. Just be patient!

Just saying this in case you aren't already but...You guys should totally follow me if you want to be up to date on my author's notes and my upcoming projects!

-Kolour