Chapter sixty eight: Drifted off

The Madrigals had done their best to get all of the guests to calm down and leave in an orderly fashion. The Madrigals were busy cleaning up. Some of my family had decided to go right to bed, which made sense, today was hectic and we needed our rest. The other members of my family were huddled at the bottom of the stairs, just comforting each other, me among them.

"Marcos, I'm so sorry that June ruined your gift ceremony" I said "You don't deserve that, especially after she ruined your birthday already."

Marcos shook his head.

"No, it's okay" Marcos said "It wasn't your fault and I'm focusing on the happy parts of today! I got my gift!"

Marcos' chest began to glow again, he was demonstrating his new gift. His optimism was contagious, the rest of us who were gathered by the stairs were now smiling or laughing quietly.

"You know..." Marcos began "I could see the love in June's heart for a while."

"What did you see?" I asked, genuinely curious.

"Something bad" Marcos answered "It was dark and it was taking over her body. At first I didn't think that it was love at all but then I took a closer look and...Yeah, it was but...It grew into something more possessive."

"What you saw was June's obsession" I told him "Sometimes, love isn't always a good thing. Especially when it evolves into something like that."

"Yeah, an obsession for him," Marcos said, pointing to Camilo "I didn't know love could be scary."

I felt bad for Marcos. He was just a kid, he didn't need to know about obsession and how love could be a terrible thing sometimes but because of his gift, he had seen it clearly with his own eyes. I gave him a sad smile.

"Mama, how are Papa and Tio Ario doing?" I asked.

"Your father is doing fine, he just needs a good night's rest" mi mama answered "Your Tio has already taken some of Julieta's food and your Tia Justine is taking care of him."

"Speaking of a good night's rest" I said "We should all head to bed, it's getting kind of late."

Marcos nodded while yawning before making his way up the stairs. He opened the door to the nursery which made me laugh a little.

"Marcos! You have your own room now, remember?" I yelled.

Marcos turned to look at his door and smiled.

"Oh, right!" Marcos exclaimed, giggling.

He happily made his way over to his new room and opened the door.

"Goodnight!" Marcos exclaimed to us before closing the door.

"Goodnight, Marcos!" me and a few other people yelled back.

"I'm going to head up too" Adelita said "I am so damn tired..."

We nodded at her before she made her way upstairs. Sooner or later everyone that was gathered at the bottom of the stairs had made their way up to their rooms. Except me, I didn't feel like sleeping yet.

Then I spotted Camilo, sweeping some dirt into a corner. I stood up and walked up to him. The minute we made eye contact, he froze. Then he shapeshifted into me, which caused me to laugh a little bit. He gave me a sad look, which made me stop laughing.

"Are you okay, Cami?" I asked.

"I should be asking you that," Camilo replied with a forced laugh.

"Really Camilo, are you feeling okay?" I asked in a serious tone "You just forced a laugh."

"You can tell?" Camilo asked, tilting his head.

"Of course, I've heard you laugh enough times to be able to tell whether or not it's genuine" I answered, casually "Now, answer my question."

Camilo looked down at the dust and dirt he was sweeping.

"N-No, I'm kinda still processing everything" Camilo finally answered "The house cracking and stuff brought back some memories from his summer..."

That's when I realized that this must've triggered some unwanted memories from the last time Casita had formed cracks in the wall.

"What about you?" Camilo asked "Are you doing alright?"

I nodded.

"Yeah, I didn't get hurt or anything, it was just shocking" I answered.

Camilo gave a soft smile and actually looked up from the ground to make eye contact with me.

"That's good to hear" Camilo said before his slight cheerfulness faded away again "I just can't help but feel bad because...I was supposed to protect you and I couldn't. I-I promised myself that I wouldn't let June hurt you but I-"

He cut himself off with a sob. My eyes widened when I realized he was crying. I wrapped my arms around him. He was taken by surprise when I did so he dropped the broom that he was using to sweep.

"You couldn't have known, Cami," I said, quietly.

He hugged me back and sobbed into my shoulder for a bit. Eventually, he stopped crying so I pulled away from the hug. He picked up the broom that he had dropped earlier and set it against the wall before grabbing my hand. He gave me a genuine smile that made butterflies swarm in my stomach.

"Let's hang out in my room for a bit" Camilo offered "To get our mind off things."

"It's getting kinda late though..." I said.

"Oh c'mon, please?" Camilo pleaded "Just for a bit."

I nodded at him. Then he began to pull me up to his room. He opened the door and let me go inside first. He closed the door behind him and then got a running start before jumping onto his bed.

"Camilo, you're going to fall if you keep jumping on your bed" I said, jokingly.

Camilo rolled his eyes at me before flopping backwards onto the bed. I sat next to him in criss-cross style. We laughed and chatted about dumb things that didn't matter for a long time.

"We should do this more" I said "Talk about nothing in particular, just talking for the sake of talking."

I didn't get an answer back.

"Cami?" I asked, turning to look at him.

I found Camilo fast asleep, strands of hair falling over his face. I pushed his hair back so it wouldn't irritate him as he was sleeping which caused him to stir in his sleep a little. I pulled his blanket over him before placing my hands on my hips.

"Jeez, you're like a little kid, Cami" I said even if I knew he couldn't hear me.

I yawned and realized that I was too lazy to walk to my room. So I shimmied under the blanket next to Camilo and placed a pillow in between us as a barrier, just in case. Then I closed my eyes and drifted off to sleep.