Chapter forty two: Talk to me

I swallowed hard and felt my eyes go wide.

"Hey" Hugo said, harshly "Y/n, what's with that face?"

I snapped out of my trance and I slowly got up, carrying my food with me.

"Hey, where are you going?" Lydia asked "Um...Did we say something?"

"Yeah, you did" I said, beggining to walk away from their table and towards the table where my friends sit.

"Hey!" Rafael said, grabbing my arm "No, don't walk away! What did we say? You can't just leave..."

I stared at him for a moment an he eventually let go of my arm. I turned my whole body to face them.

"Do not call Camilo that" I said "He is a kind-hearted person and I do not understand why you decide to talk badly about him."

"Camilo? This is about Camilo?" Enzo asked "Y/n, not to be rude but you've only known him for like what, a month? We've known him since elementary school and-"

"I know more that you about him" I said, trying to keep calm "You are all just jealous of him and talk badly about him behind his back and for what? Because you think you should be more popular than him or something?"

They all kept quiet. I turned back around and made my way to the elevated area where I usually sit. I smiled at Camilo and he scooted ot one side to made some space for me to sit next to him.

"Hey, Y/n!" Camilo greeted me, cheerfully.

The wound was still a bit sensitive so Camilo still needed to help me sit down sometimes. I winced as I tried to bend my waist and Camilo guided me until I was comfortable. I smiled at him as thanks.

"So...Uhm, why were you sitting at their table?" Camilo asked, his eyebrows furrowed.

"Oh, don't worry about that" I assured him "They were being nice so I sat with them but I decided to leave once they started not being so nice."

Camilo nodded and I opened up my hand underneath the table. Camilo took my hand and smiled softly to himself.

"Uh, Y/n" Emilio began "Not to ruin the mood or anything but...We were gonna tell these guys something, right?"

I nodded.

'Right, I have to tell these guys about June' I thought.

"Huh? What happened?" Amelia asked "Did Emilio tell you about his crush or something?"

"Wha- No!" Emilio said "It's something else..."

"Yeah, so..." I said "June threatened to hurt my family and I at Marcos' gift ceremony..."

Amelia gasped and her lips parted. Ruben stopped slouching in his chair, realizing that the moment was a bit too serious for that. Emilio just shifted uncomfortably at the thought. Camilo's expression didn't change but I felt him clutch my hand tighter.

"Oh my goodness...W-When did this happen?" Amelia asked.

"Before art class" I answered "I exited science class and I saw Mirabel and June in that dark hallway near the senior bathrooms..."

"Wait, tell us everything" Ruben said, fixing his posture.

"Well, I went up to the both of them and when June saw me, she said that she was going to ask Mirabel to deliver a message for her" I began telling the story "But since I was already there, she just told me what she wanted to say herself."

"What did she say?" Ruben asked.

"She told me that apperently hurting me physically wasn't enough" I said "She threatened to hurt me mentally and emotionally. She told me that she was going to do something that might even make me and my family move away from the Encanto..."

Camilo clutched my hand even tighter.

"Why?" Amelia asked "Why is she doing all of this? I don't understand why she's so...angry."

"Because she's in love with Camilo" I said, as calm as I could "And apperently, I'm in the way of her getting what she wants..."

Camilo squeezed my hand to tight that his knuckles were turning white. It was starting to hurt. Camilo's head was tilted downward, his hair covering most of his face.

"Ah, Cami- My hand, it hurts" I said, giving two squeezes to his hand.

Camilo's hand let go and I realized that my hand had gone numb.

"S-Sorry, Y/n" Camilo said, his voice trembling.

Then Camilo stood from his seat abruptly, letting go of my hand and grabbing his things.

"I...I have to go" Camilo said before walking away from us.

"Camilo, what?" Amelia asked.

"Where are you going, dude?" Ruben asked.

Camilo didn't answer. I watched as his body began shapeshifting at random. Eventually, the time in between the shapshifting got smaller. Soon, he was shapeshifting with every step that he took.

'Oh shit...' I thoguht to myself.

"I'm gonna follow him" I said, getting my own things "Amelia, can you share your notes with me tomorrow in geography and history?"

Amelia nodded. I walked away from the table, passing the table with Hugo and the rest of his friends and chased Camilo. I wasn't running, I didn't want to cause a scene or anything so I just followed. I watched him sign out at the school office and I did that same. I told the office lady that my stomach was hurting and she wrote me a note and sent me home.

I knew what was going to happen once Camilo got back to Casita. He would run upstairs to his room, shut the door and hide there until tomorrow. If I didn't help him, that is. I quickened my pace and eventually caught up to him, right before we entered Casita.

"Camilo? Y/n?" Dolores said "I thought I heard you guys. What are you-"

Before Dolores could finish her question, Camilo dashed upstairs. I followed him. Then, just as I thought, he ran in to his room and shut the door. Pepa saw all of this happen and her eyes widened as she realized what was happening, a thunder cloud appearing over her head.

Once I reached his door, I knocked harshly.

"Camilo? Let me in" I said "Don't isolate yourself, Camilo! Talk to me!"

Then the door opened.