Chapter one hundred and twelve: Anything for you

The hot air balloon began slowly floating upwards. My heart was pounding so fast as I peered over the basket's edge to watch the ground get farther and farther away from me as Camilo and I floated closer to the sky.

"This must be how Adelita feels when she flies," I whispered to myself.

The hot air balloon got high enough in the air for me to see Casita all the way from the other side of the forest on the edge of town. I could see the whole town from up there. Then the balloon stopped going up. I looked around to try and figure out why to see that the basket still had one very long rope tying it to the ground.

"What's this for?" I asked, pointing to the rope keeping us from going any higher.

"It's so that we don't float too high or too far away from the Encanto" Camilo answered "I don't know how to steer this thing or anything so the American man told me to do this as a compromise."

I nodded to acknowledge that I understood. It was silent for a moment but the silence was comfortable. I rested my elbows on the edge of the basket and stared at the sky, still a calming colour of blue with just the right amount of clouds to make the sky look like a painting.

"It's beautiful, isn't it?" I asked, staring on to the Encanto.

"This is...The best view of the Encanto that I've ever seen" Camilo sighs "I'm glad that I get to share it with you."

"Thank you for this, Camilo" I said, turning to look at him "This is so wonderful!"

Camilo gave me a soft smile followed by a happy sigh.

"There's more where that came from," Camilo said before sitting down criss-cross style on the petal covered floor of the basket "Here, sit with me!"

Camilo patted on the empty space on the basket's ground right beside him. I took his offer and sat next to him, the petals flying up a bit when I plopped down. Camilo giggled at that.

"What's with the strawberries?" I asked, pointing to the basket full of them that he had brought with us "Are these more of the ones that you grew?"

"Mhm!" Camilo replied "Since you liked them so much, I decided to make more! Besides, it's fun to grow them."

I laughed softly at that.

"That's sweet, Cami" I said "So can I eat them now?"

I reached for a strawberry that was at the very top of the little pile sitting in the little woven basket. But before I could actually touch it, Camilo snatched the strawberries away.

"Nope, not yet" Camilo exclaimed "I had an idea for how we could eat them!"

Camilo searched the little woven basket for a moment. I didn't know what he was looking for, I thought that there were only strawberries inside. Apparently not because he pulled out three small ceramic cups with lids on them.

"What are those?" I asked.

"They're dips!" Camilo replied, plucking the lids off of each cup and placing them gently off to the side.

I took a small peek inside of each of the small cups. One of them had chocolate in it, another had what I think was honey and the other had...cheese?

"Hm, for the strawberries?" I asked, squinting at the cups.

"Yeah!" Camilo answered cheerfully "We can try which one tastes best with the strawberries!"

I reached towards the basket full of strawberries and looked at Camilo before I could officially grab one. He gave me a nod, signalling that it was okay for me to take one. I picked up the one at the very top of the pile. I thought that I should eat it on its own first before I try it with any dips and such. I popped it into my mouth and immediately smiled.