Chapter seventy: Let's go shopping!

I rolled my eyes at my older brother. I had a feeling that he was just going to make fun of Camilo and I.

"And why would we do that?" I asked.

"Well, I'm not going to attend it so I thought I'd ask about it," Miguel replied.

Of course MIguel wasn't going to the school dance. His edgy, teenaged, emo boy heart would never let him.

"Why aren't you going?" Camilo said, asking the question that I was thinking.

Miguel looked down at his food sadly. It was rare to see Miguel sad so I was caught off guard. Miguel took a deep breath before answering.

"I uh...I don't have anyone to go with" Miguel replied, bitterness in his voice "Carlos is back where we used to live so..."

My face softened. I had been so quick to assume that he thought that he was "too cool" for school dances. In reality, he was just sad that he couldn't spend Valentine's day with his boyfriend.

"But it's a lame school dance anyway!" Miguel exclaimed "Carlos and I would've only gone ironically if we could."

There it is. His emo-ness. I let out a laugh at his obvious cover up for missing Carlos.

"Well, I'm going to the 'lame school dance'" Adriana chimed in "I'll be going with friends."

"Camilo and Y/n are going together" Mirabel said, winking at me "They're each other's valentinesss!"

Camilo choked on his breakfast a bit, which made me laugh. I rolled my eyes and shook my head at Mirabel and Camilo's reaction.

"Y-You make it sound like we're a couple" Camilo spat out, in between coughs.

"Jeez, Cami," I said, feigning sadness, "You make it sound like being with me is something you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy..."

"No! It's not that!" Camilo exclaimed "I mean, it's not like I like you or anything but I'm sure whoever you end up with will be very lucky! You're wonderful andI don't know why I said that, I'm sor-"

I laughed slightly, cutting Camilo's rambling off. He stared at me with a nervous expression.

"I was joking, Camilo," I said, trying to calm him down.

Camilo's shoulder's went slack and he sighed in relief.

"You sounded so genuine!" Camilo exclaimed "I-I really didn't mean to imply that I wouldn't be with you."

I gave him an amused expression. Miguel held in a snicker and Adriana giggled to herself, not looking at her food. Mirabel's eyes went to Camilo, who was oblivious to what the sentence had implied, and her lips curled into a smirk that mirrored her cousin's.

"So...You're saying you would be with Y/n?" Mirabel asked.

Camilo's eyes widened when he realized.

"No! That's not what I-" Camilo protested "You know that's not what I meant!"

We all shared a laugh, including me. I knew it was just a joke but it was funny to see Camilo's reactions.

"You know, Y/n" Mirabel began "Camilo was much more suave before he met you."

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"He used to never get like this!" Mirabel replied "He always knew just what to say, he was never flustered and never stuttered!"

"That has nothing to do with Y/n!" Camilo exclaimed.

"Sure, primo," Mirabel replied sarcastically, rolling her eyes.

"Fine, don't believe me, I don't care, whatever" Camilo said, pouting and slouching into his chair.

I let myself let out a giggle at his childishness. Camilo was immature in an endearing way that could make me smile.

"So, in related news" Mirabel began "What are you guys going to wear to the dance?"

"A dress? What else?" Adriana answered.

"No!" Mirabel exclaimed "Didn't you hear, there's a theme this year!"

"A theme?" Camilo asked.

"Oh yeah, I heard about that" Miguel said "You guys have to wear fancy masks, right?"

"It's a masquerade!?" Adriana asked in an uncharacteristically loud voice.

"Yeah! I'm gonna make my mask myself!" Mirabel said, proudly.

"Isn't there a mask shop somewhere in town?" Camilo asked "Why don't you just buy a mask from there?"

"Well...It's scary..." Mirabel answered.

"There's a mask shop in Encanto?" I asked "Why haven't I seen it yet?"

"It's near the edge of town, the forest is right behind it" Camilo replied "It's not that scary."

"Yes, it is!" Mirabel exclaimed "There's creepy masks hung on the walls of the shop and there are these terrifying masks displayed in the window!"

"The shopkeeper is very nice! The masks are only creepy because they're for Halloween" Camilo said "But you wouldn't know that since you make your costumes for Halloween."

"Well, I don't know how to make a mask," Adriana groaned.

"Then let's go shopping!" Camilo exclaimed cheerfully "We can go after breakfast!"

Adriana thought for a moment.

"Fine," she replied, quietly.