Chapter fifty three: Break the news

Dinner came around and I opened the door of my room to find Adriana standing there, staring at a letter in her hands.

"What's that?" I asked, nudging her with my elbow "A letter from your girlfriend?"

"Yeah, what's wrong with that?" she asked "You're just mad that you're single."

I gasped loudly as the two of us walked downstairs, Adelita flying over us.

"How dare you!" I exclaimed, jokingly "How could you ever say such a thing?"

I pretended to cry, wiping tears off of my face that weren't there to begin with. Adriana laughed and took her seat at the dinner table. My entire family plus Julieta was already there so we were just waiting for the rest of the Madrigals.

Pepa and Felix entered the dining area, their hair a bit messy.

"What's with your hair?" Miguel asked, pointing at the two of them as they took their seats.

Julieta let out a small giggle.

"Miguel!" my mother scolded him.

"What? They look weird" Miguel said, shrugging which earned him a light smack in the back of the head.

"Ay, Felix thought it would be funny to dance with me while I was helping some kids find their lost toy" Pepa explained, giving Felix the side-eye "He dropped me in the mud and I dragged him down with me."

"I already apologised thirty times, mi vida! I'm sorry!" Felix said with pleading eyes.

He placed a kiss on Pepa's hand but Pepa didn't even look at him. She yanked her hand away from him and scoffed. Felix frowned.

"Mami, forgive Papa already" Dolores said as she entered the area "I'm getting tired of hearing him apologise."

Pepa thought for a moment.

"Hmph, fine" Pepa said "I forgive you. For now."

Felix smiled, placing another kiss on Pepa's hand. This time, a smile tugged on the corners of Pepa's lips, it was obvious even if she was trying to hide it. Mostly due to the rainbow over her head.

Antonio walked into the dining area with a toucan on his arm.

"Mami? Why is there a rainbow over your head?" Antonio asked.

Pepa fanned her hand through the rainbow until it faded away. Dolores and Felix let out a little giggle.

"No reason, mijo, sit down" Pepa said "And can you tell Pico to fly to your room?"

Antonio nodded before whispering something to the toucan. The toucan flew away, to Antonio's room, I assumed. Then Antonio took a seat next to his mother.

Then Bruno walked into the room, an arepa already in his mouth.

"Bruno, where did you get that arepa?" Julieta asked.

"Uhm- The rats gave it to me" Bruno replied, his words muffled by the food in his mouth.

"Ay, you must stop your rats from stealing from the kitchen" Julieta said "You don't have to do that anymore, you can just have dinner with the rest of us."

"Noted" Bruno said as he swallowed the last of the arepa.

Camilo entered next. He simply took a seat in front of me and next to Dolores. He smiled at me and I smiled back.

Then Augustin and Mirabel entered the dining room, Mirabel taking her seat at the very edge of the table and Augustin sitting next to Julieta. Then Isabella and Luisa entered and sat next to each other. We prayed and then began to eat.

"Alright! A quick update, Marcos has done very well for the first day of rehearsals and if we continue at this pace, I'm sure we can have his gift ceremony on the date that we decided on!" Mirabel said, cheerfully.

"Good, no postponing anything!" Augustin said.

"Yeah! Mi vida and I can dance soon!" Felix said, looking at his wife.

"Camilo, you and Y/n can have another dance battle, huh?" Dolores teased, nudging Camilo in the arm harshly.

"Ow! Mami! Dolores hit me!" Camilo yelled.

Dolores winced and covered her ears. I stifled a laugh. I found it funny because Camilo's first instinct was to tell him mom.

"Camilo, Dolores, stop fighting at the table!" Pepa scolded them.

"Yes, Mami," the two of them said in unison.

"To answer your question, Dolores," I began, "I wouldn't mind another dance battle."

Camilo's face lit up.

"We will definitely have another dance battle" Camilo remarked, smirking at me "And I will beat you next time."

"I was going to say that I wouldn't mind another chance to prove that I'm the better dancer" I retorted before taking a sip from my glass of water.

Dolores giggled when she realized that Camilo didn't have a comeback.

"Whatever..." Camilo muttered, defeated.

I smirked at him, basking in my victory.

"We'll definitely be able to have the decorations up for Wednesday" Adelita said "I just have to buy more paint for the banner and then everything else we can do on the day of."

"Perfect, everything will go according to plan!" Luisa said.

Then I remembered that June threatened to hurt my family. She said that she would try to do something for us at Marcos' gift ceremony. I looked at Camilo and judging by the look on his face, he was thinking the same thing as me. I gave him a look, trying to silently ask whether or not I should bring it up. Camilo understood and nodded.

"I wouldn't be so sure about that..." I said, quietly.

Mirabel's face saddened as she realized what I was talking about. I felt bad for her, she put in all of this work into this ceremony and there was a possibility that it was all going to be ruined by some love crazy girl named June.

"Huh? What do you mean?" Luisa asked.

I took a deep breath. Camilo gave me an encouraging smile and mouthed "Go on" at me. I smiled back nervously.

'Okay...' I thought 'Time to break the news...'