Chapter one hundred and five: Follow me

The sun was shining through the window that I had left open last night. The wind was blowing past the curtains and blew my hair into my face. I groaned as I waved my hand to signal the room to make the window disappear. The room obliged, the sun stopped hurting my eyes and the wind stopped tickling my nose.

I tried my best to go back to sleep but even after the window was gone, I couldn't go back to dreaming. I groaned as I sat up from my bed and pulled the blanket off of my body.

'What a waste' I thought 'I was having such a good dream too.'

I had at least an hour before school would start but I decided to get into my uniform anyway. I waved my hand and the room magically turned my wardrobe into a dresser with a mirror. I opened the front drawer of the dress to find my twine necklace, carefully put into a little wooden jewelry box. I couldn't help but smile when I saw I put it one because it reminded me of the "platonic" date that Camilo and I had before the Valentine's day dance.

I put it on as I slid down the railway on the side of the stairs. My landing was a bit wonky but it was my first time trying that so I didn't dwell on my mistakes too much. I made my way to the kitchen, admiring the early morning sky as I passed through the main area. I waved to Julieta, who was cooking arepas in the kitchen as I passed her.

"Good morning, Y/n!" Julieta greeted me cheerfully, waving back at me "An early riser, huh?"

"Good morning, Senora Julieta! The mornings are just better here in Encanto" I replied "It gives me more reason to get up early."

She smiled before handing me a plate and a glass.

"I already have a lot of food out on the patio" Julieta said "You should go eat something, Dolores and Luisa are outside too."

"Thank you, Senora," I said, smiling at her.

I made my way to the breakfast patio and placed some scrambled eggs with tomato and scallions in it as well as an arepa and a glass of hot chocolate. I smiled and waved to both Luisa and Dolores, who were already sitting at the yellow breakfast table.

"Good morning, Y/n!" Luisa greeted me, cheerfully.

"Good morning, you two," I replied, taking a seat.

"Y/n, I have to ask you something" Dolores began in the whispery tone that she usually talks at.

"Hm?" I hummed in response "What is it?"

"You are nice and I trust you but..." Dolores said softly "I just want to make sure that your intentions with my brother are...good. Do you plan to just string him along?"

I choked on my arepa, the question catching me off guard.

'It's a bit early to be talking about where Camilo and I's relationship will go, isn't it?' I thought as I sipped from my hot chocolate.

"I've known Camilo since he was born and I've heard everything he's ever said or done, I know him more than anyone else" Dolores continued "He really loves you and if you plan on just keeping him around for fun, you should just let him down now."

Once I stopped coughing, I stared at Dolores' face. She looked genuinely sad thinking about the possibility that I would just be leading Camilo on. It made me happy to see that Camilo and Dolores were so close and cared about each other so much, even if they didn't really seem like it at first glance.

"I could never do that to Camilo" I answered, smiling at her to reassure her "We were supposed to have a conversation about it yesterday but we got caught up in the festivities of the pool party."

Dolores smiled at me as she nodded.

"Say, why did you invite that Hugo kid?" Luisa asked, "I thought that Camilo had some...issues with that guy."

"I invited him because Camilo has issues with him" I replied "I was hoping that this would help them get past their grudges. I think it worked a little bit."

"It did," Dolores said, a slight laugh in her voice. "I heard your friend group talking to Hugo as if they were friends."

"I'm glad that you decided to try and bring them together" Luisa said "It'll be good for Camilo and his friends."

"Good for Hugo too," I added, smiling at her.

"Hm!" Dolores squeaked, her head perking up "Speaking of Hugo..."

"Huh?" I replied, looking up from my food to make eye contact with Dolores.

"Wait for it..." she said softly.

Then there was a knock on the door. The knock was pretty loud and I could hear it from the breakfast patio.

"I'll get it!" Luisa exclaimed as she stood up.

"No, it's for Y/n" Dolores said, gesturing for Luisa to sit back down.

I set my utensils down and stood up slowly. Dolores nodded at me before her and Luisa went right back to finishing their breakfast. I made my way to the main area of Casita and opened the door. I saw Hugo standing there in his school uniform. His usual white blouse, blue dress pants and black dress shoes. The top two buttons were unbuttoned as usual and his hair was disheveled and let down.

"Hugo?" I said, tilting my head.

"Hey, Y/n" Hugo replied "I was wondering if you guys would wanna walk to school together. You, Camilo, and Mirabel I mean. Plus whoever else you walk to school with."

"Don't you live on the other side of town?" I asked.

"Well, um...Yes" Hugo said "I already said that I wanted to walk to school with you guys, didn't I?"

"Oh, uhm...Sure!" I replied cheerfully "Do you mind waiting though? Camilo and Mirabel aren't awake yet."

"Who said I wasn't awake yet?" I heard someone behind me, slurring their words from the tiredness.

I turned around to see Mirabel, lifting her glasses to rub her eyes. She peeked over my shoulder and saw Hugo.

"What is Hugo doing here?" Mirabel asked, her voice already sounding more awake.

"He's just here to wait for us so that we can all walk to school together" I replied.

"Oh" Mirabel said bluntly "Cool. I'll get some breakfast, get ready and then we can go!"

"I'll go wake up Camilo!" Dolores exclaimed before going upstairs to Camilo's room "You can find somewhere for Hugo to stay as he waits, okay?"

Dolores then went inside Camilo's room and I heard the faint sound of Camilo screaming. Mirabel shrugged and made her way to the breakfast patio with a plate and glass that she got from the kitchen. I turned to Hugo, who was still standing against the doorframe.

"Let's go to the common living area and wait for everyone to get ready" I said, smiling at Hugo "Follow me!"