Chapter eighty nine: Moments ago

Camilo and I stepped onto the dance floor and began to dance. The live band was playing a song that was upbeat but still soulful. The lyrics were simple and didn't have much thought behind them but it was still perfectly light hearted. We were dancing to the song, smiling and enjoying each other's company.

Then the song ended and the lead singer of the live band tapped on the microphone, catching everyone off-guard. The lead singer cleared their throat after they tapped on the microphone. Everyone turned to the slightly elevated platform that the singer and the band were performing on.

"Hello, everyone!" the singer said into the mic "This next song is a slow song so if you're one of the lucky people that have a valentine tonight, I encourage you to dance."

Camilo and I looked at each other. His eyes were blown wide and he swallowed hard. I tried to smile at him as genuinely as I could. He smiled back at me with a nervous crooked smile and only faintly resembled his usual smug smirk. We were staring at each other for a while as other pairs of students moved to the dance floor for the slow dance.

🧡

The slow song started. It wasn't a song that I recognized and to be honest, I didn't know how to dance to the song. I'm not sure whether or not I was terrifyingly unfortunate or incredibly lucky for this but Camilo knew just how to dance to the song.

Camilo twirled me into his arms. He gently put his hand on my waist and drew me in close to him as I wrapped my arm around his neck. I could feel his heartbeat as our chests pressed against each other.

My hair fell over my eyes a bit. He tried to use his free hand to brush the stray hair away from my face but I clutched his hand in mine instead as a reflex. I wasn't used to anyone touching my hair, especially so close to my face. I looked into his eyes and studied his calm expression and it was somehow contagious. I let go of his hand and let him tuck the stray hair behind my ear. I felt my face warm up when he smiled at me, softly.

We fell into step, letting the soft rhythm of the song sway us, letting the melody control our movements. I felt my cape swish behind me as we twirled on the dance floor. Everyone and everything around us dissolved into a blur of colours. It was just Camilo and I dancing together to the sentimental music, staring into each other's eyes. His hazel chestnut eyes twinkled, reflecting the warm glow from the many lanterns hanging above us.

Camilo laid his forehead on my shoulder but we continued to dance, too lost in the music and the dance steps to stop. Camilo still managed to lead while dancing, the music swelled before the song fell back into the chorus. The sound of soft violins accompanied the singer, their soft, soothing falsetto voice putting me into a calm trance.

Camilo lifted his head off of my shoulder and looked into my eyes. I could see that his eyes had fluttered half closed sleepily. His cloudy eyes perfectly complimented his dazed expression. As I stared back into his eyes, I felt my heartbeat grow louder, beating in time with the music. My face heated up and I could tell that there was an obvious soft blush spreading across my cheeks.

I felt Camilo's hand move to brush against my cheek before cupping my face. I leaned into his touch as we gently halted our dancing and instead stood there looking at each other. His face moved towards mine and his eyes fluttered closed in time with the way my heart fluttered in my chest. Just as I was about to lean in as well, he retracted and moved back as the song came to a delicate end of the last note.

🧡

Camilo opened his eyes and swallowed hard as he looked at me. Maybe I was just imagining things but I could've sworn that he was leaning in for a kiss. He looked away and moved his hand from my cheek to my shoulder. Camilo cleared his throat as he regained his composure before the lead singer tapped on the microphone again.

"I hope you youngsters enjoyed the song" the singer said, their voice just as soft when they spoke as when they sang "I can tell that some of you really got into the music! I'm gonna go rest my voice but don't worry, the band will keep playing!"

Camilo and I watched as the lead singer hopped off the elevated platform before dragging our eyes back to each other. Camilo finally moved his hands off of me, I shivered as the cold night breeze made me shiver, the skin on my waist missing the warmth of his hands.

He moved his right hand so his palm was resting on the back of his neck. Camilo smiled at me, a nervous, goofy grin that contrasted his confident smirk or bright, excited smile. Many people that didn't have valentines rejoined us on the dance floor, including the other L/n's and Mirabel.

Camilo moved his free hand to brush against mine. I accepted his silent offer and took his hand. He seemed to calm down a bit at that and shook away the awkwardness of how we were just standing in the middle of the dance floor despite not dancing. He smiled at me genuinely.

"Let's go find our friends, okay?" Camilo asked, softly.

I nodded happily as I smiled back at him. Then the two of us left the dance floor. I took one look back at it, somewhat daydreaming to the dance that Camilo and I had shared just a few moments ago.

-----

I know that it's not always convenient for everyone to listen to the music but I really encourage you to listen to the music as you read the parts that I reccomended. I wrote this chapter with this song in mind while listening to it on loop. If you read the chapter with the music, I promise it will raise the level of the chapter's quality by tons! I mean, it just seems awkward to have to imagine what mysic you and Camilo are dancing to lol.

I believe that Encanto takes place in the 1950's since the conflict that caused Abuelo Pedro's death is most likely the Thousand Days' War, which raged between 1899 to 1902 and since the triplets are now 50, the story should take place in the 1950's. The song was sung in 1957 so it's accurate to the time. It also gives it a cool aesthetic lol.

Another thing, I vaguely remember adding music to another chapter in this story but I can't remember which chapter or if I added music to any other chapter at all. If you know whether or not I did, please tell me in the comments and if I did, remind me which chapter it is. I need to edit something in it!

This is also the 100th part in this story. Not the 100th chapter, which I'm pretty sure I'm going to hit, but still pretty cool to me. Thank you so much for all of the support that you guys have shown for this story. You guys are the reason why I actually made this simple joke between friends into something that I can be proud of! Thank you for the views, the votes and the comments that I genuinely love reading.

I hope you guys can continue to support me and the upcoming projects that I have planned. Have a good day/night!

-Kolour