Chapter fifty two: A knock on the door

I laughed at how childish Camilo looked as he was celebrating. He was hugging a pillow and rolling around on his bed. Eventually, much like a young child, he tired himself out.

"Now that you're done doing...whatever that was" I began "Do you think anyone is gonna confess to you on Valentine's?"

Camilo thought for a moment, stroking his chin.

"Hmm, maybe. Probably, actually" Camilo answered "It happens a lot on special occasions, especially Valentine's."

"Well, yeah, you are the second most liked person in the entire school" I said.

"Second?!" Camilo asked, sitting up abruptly "What do you mean?! I'm first!"

I laughed at the fact that he took offence to being second.

"No, Miguel is first!" I corrected him.

"Miguel is cheating" Camilo said, extra emphasis on the last word.

"He is not, he only uses his gift to get free stuff and it lasts an hour at longest" I explained "People like him because he's pretty."

Camilo pouted.

"Fine, second's not that bad..." he said, defeated.

I laughed and patted him on the head. He cheered up a bit after that.

"How many confessions do you think you're gonna get?" I asked.

"I dunno..." Camilo replied, shrugging.

"C'mon, just guess!" I exclaimed.

"Fine um...Maybeeee..." Camilo said, probably counting in his head "Maybe like...six or seven?"

"Six or seven?! You're liked by like a third of the school, probably more than that!" I exclaimed "That's wayyy too low!"

"No, it isn't! Okay, when I was younger and just starting out in highschool, then yeah, it would be way more" Camilo explained "But if I rejected someone the first year, they probably wouldn't confess again the next year! So the number goes down yearly."

It made sense now that I think about it.

"Hm, I guess you're right," I said.

"Yeah, most of the people in our class, I've known them since I was super young" Camilo added "Not too many people ever move into the Encanto and nobody I know has ever left."

That made sense, Encanto was really hard to find and even if you found it, it was a hassle to get here. When mi familia and I decided to move here, we had to pass mountains and climb steep rocks and we barely made pitstops.

"Hmmm, so we know that you are super well-liked" I said "Sooo...Is there anybody that you like?"

Camilo froze up. He cleared his throat and blinked dumbly for a minute.

"Um, I uh- Y'know, kind of? No, I don't think so" Camilo said "No, I-I don't."

I squinted at him and brought my face very close to his.

"Why don't I believe you, Cami?" I asked, teasingly.

"Ahem, I-I don't know, yeah, why don't you believe me" Camilo repeated "I mean, why would I even lie about something like that! I-I'm very open about things like that I don't-"

I laughed at his obvious struggle. I actually did believe him when he told me, who would the great Camilo Madrigal have to like anyway? Most people that he might be interested in have already confessed to him and he rejected them. It was just fun to tease him.

"Calm down, Cami" I said "Don't worry, I believe you."

Camilo let out a sigh of relief.

"Thanks," Camilo said, bluntly.

"So are we gonna go to the dance together then?" I asked "Since you're gonna be my valentine and all."

"Um, yeah! Sure, if you want to!" Camilo answered "I mean as friends of course, I hope that didn't come across to you as me saying I like you. I mean, I do like you just not in that way! Y'know?"

I laughed. It was strange to see Camilo like this, flustered and at a loss for words yet still rambling on about nothing. He was usually so confident with that stupid smirk of his. It was nice to see him vulnerable like this.

"Wow, so much rambling today, huh?" I teased "I'm guessing it's your first time having a valentine?"

"Yeah, kind of" Camilo replied "Why? Is it not yours?"

"I had a valentine once before, back in the city" I said "It was my friend, Jaime! We did it as friends but we still got each other gifts and flowers and stuff to get into the Valentine's day spirit."

"Oh, right! Gifts!" Camilo exclaimed "Do you want me to get you a gift?"

"You could if you want but I don't really need it" I answered.

"No, I'm gonna get you a gift! Well, you already have one but you know what I mean" Camilo said.

"Oh, but then I'll have to get you a gift!" I said "Damn, I don't know what to get you..."

"No, you don't have to get me anything! You being my valentine is enough" Camilo said.

"Are you sure? I'll feel really guilty if you get me something really amazing and I didn't get you anything" I said.

"I already know what to get you, don't worry, it's nothing too crazy" Camilo said "I promise."

"Okay, if you say so..." I said.

I looked down towards our clothes, the both of us were still in our uniforms. Now that I realize it, the shirt was getting kind of itchy. I got up and stretched my legs and arms for a bit.

"I'm gonna go change out of my uniform" I said as I stretched.

Camilo looked down at his own clothes and noticed that he was also in his school uniform.

"Right. Yeah, okay" Camilo said "I'll do that too."

"See you at dinner, valentine!" I said, as I opened his door to leave.

I glanced at Camilo over my shoulder and saw him freeze in place. I held in the laughter bubbling in my throat. Then I saw his face light up and that familiar smirk appear on his face again.

"See you, mi vida~" Camilo said in a sing-songy tone.

I giggled as I shut the door behind me. That's when I suddenly heard a knock on the door. I assumed it was one of the townspeople that needed help so I opened the door only to see Hugo staring back at me in formal-ish looking clothes.