Chapter sixty five: Who it was

Camilo and I started dancing in the empty space between Felix and Pepa and Emilio and Ruben. Emilio was dancing better than he was at Marcos' birthday party, I guess he was just extra happy today. Ruben wasn't much of a dancer so he just cheered him on. Pepa and Felix were dancing gracefully together, their movements perfectly complimenting the others. They really were made for each other.

🧡

A new song started up, the song had a heavy bass. I wasn't sure where exactly the bass was coming from since the only instrument that I'd ever seen was a piano but I didn't question it too much.

Suddenly, Ruben joined Emilio in the dancing and he was actually doing well.

"Woah, when did Ruben learn to dance?" I asked, jokingly.

"For your information, I've been practising," Ruben answered.

"Why would you do that? You've never been interested in dancing before" Emilio said, not stopping his amazing dancing at all.

"I wanted to impress you," Ruben answered, shamelessly.

Emilio tripped over himself and fell but Ruben caught him. Emilio laughed awkwardly before pushing himself back up and trying to get back into the rhythm of the song. Camilo and I laughed as Emilio continued to trip over himself and do some moves wrong.

"Phhht-" Ruben exclaimed "Calm down, Em. Just dance, you're thinking too much."

Emilio nodded and soon got back to his normal, unnecessarily good way of dancing.

"There we go!" Ruben cheered.

Camilo and I cheered them on as we danced together. Pepa smiled at all of us and a cloud appeared over her head. I thought that maybe we did something to make her sad or angry but then the cloud started spewing out hail. I recalled that Camilo had told me that the hail meant that she was happy.

Camilo and I were dancing for a while and eventually, we both got so tired that we flopped onto two bean bags that were right next to each other.

"I'm thirsty..." Camilo said tiredly.

"Me too" I said "Let's go get water from the kitchen."

🧡

Camilo grunted in response and the two of us stood up. We left Marcos' room and closed the door behind us, the music stayed trapped behind the door. We made our way to the kitchen and I poured a glass of water for Camilo and I.

"You didn't have to do that, you know" Camilo said as I handed him the glass of water "I could've just asked Casita to pour us some glasses of water."

"I know but I like to do things on my own" I replied "We can't just use Casita all the time."

"I guess that makes sense," Camilo said, taking a sip of water.

The two of us finished our glasses of water.

"Okay, let's go back to the festivities!" I exclaimed.

"Wait!" Camilo exclaimed, grabbing my hand before I could walk too far "It's kinda...loud in there. Crowded too. Why don't we just stay out here for a while?"

I thought about it for a moment.

"Hm..." I hummed as I thought "Alright."

Camilo gave me a soft smile. He then sat on top of the counter, his legs swinging off of the edge. Then I heard something above us...The floor boards creaking. Someone was walking in the hallway above us. But the footsteps weren't as heavy as someone who was walking normally.

"Do you hear that?" I asked.

"Hear...What?" Camilo replied.

I heard the creaking again.

"The creaking from upstairs" I answered.

Silence for a moment. Camilo pushed his hair behind his ear and tried to listen.

"Nope, I don't hear anything" Camilo said, casually.

"Hm, maybe I was imagining things" I said, relaxing a bit.

Camilo and I sat in the comfortable silence.

"Isn't it kind of spooky?" Camilo asked, breaking the silence.

"What is?" I asked.

"Marcos' gift" Camilo replied "You saw what he did to Emilio! Love is such a...delicate thing! He has the power to know who and what a person loves and he can...make them confess to it!"

"I don't think it's that scary" I said "I think that it's obvious when someone loves something or someone so it's not a problem. It's not like he would force anyone to confess to anything anyway! His gift is like...A boost of courage."

"But what if he does expose someone?" Camilo asked "He has the power to do that!"

"Cami..." I began "I have the power to do that."

Camilo looked at me and his face softened a bit.

"Oh...Right" Camilo said, hints of nervous laughter hidden in his voice "I didn't really think about that!"

"I mean, I could expose you" I said "But I won't, my parents raised me to know that I should be careful with my gift. I know that Marcos will learn to do the same! He was just a little reckless today."

"Well, it is his first day with a gift," Camilo said, jokingly.

We laughed together for a bit.

"We should head back" I said "It's rude to stay out here when there's a whole party in Marcos' room. We should be celebrating with him!"

Camilo nodded at me and smiled. The two of us made our way upstairs. Camilo opened the door for me and the loud music filled my ears. The sound of people cheering and chatting amongst each other made me happy.

But then I heard it. The creaking. But we were on the second floor this time. The sound was coming from the roof now. Someone was on the roof. This time, I knew I wasn't imagining it. I ran away from Camilo and ran down a few of the stairs so I could get a better look.

"Y-Y/n?!" Camilo called "What are you- Where are you going?!"

I looked up towards where I heard the footsteps coming from. Then I saw a figure standing there in the darkness. There weren't any lights on the roof so I couldn't see their face. They were going for our miracle flower, which was sitting at the window of Mriabel's room.

I felt my heart racing and my body tense up. I was sweating and my mind was trying desperately to process the situation faster so that I could do something.

The figure got closer to the flower and eventually, I could see their face in the light. My mind and body froze when I realized who it was.

It was June.

-----

Woah, I am spoiling you guys today! That's four chapters, I think.

Okay, thank you for all the comments that I've been getting lately! It's really motivated me to create more than a single chapter daily. I really enjoy reading the comments, to me it's like confirmation that people are invested in the story.

I can't wait to see you guys' comments on the last little bit. Until tomorrow, guys!

-Kolour