Chapter ninety three: Perfectly content

I stared up into the starry sky, the bright twinkling lights stretched the darkness of the night. I counted the stars above me even if I knew that I would never be able to count them all in a single night, maybe not even a hundred nights. The stars reminded me of the freckles splattered across Camilo's face. I guess everything reminded me of him.

Then I remembered that he had asked me something.

"Sorry, what?" I asked, turning away from the beautiful sky so I could make eye contact with Camilo "I didn't hear you."

"Oh, uhm..." Camilo began "Can I tell you something?"

I gave him a soft smile.

"You don't need to ask me whether or not you can tell me something" I said "I am happy to listen to you."

Camilo's eyes went wide and he turned to lay on his side, his back facing me, trying his best to hide his face. The tips of his ears were tinted red, giving away the fact that he was blushing.

"Yeah..." Camilo replied, turning to lay on his back again.

I waited patiently for him to continue, looking back and forth between him and the night sky, the moon shining bright. For a while, he didn't say anything. The cool, night breeze blowing past my ears, filling the silence.

After a bit, the silence between us grew awkward and uncomfortable. I felt like he had forgotten that he had asked to tell me something.

"Weren't you going to tell me something, Cami?" I asked, reminding him.

"Right! Uhm!" Camilo exclaimed, the wind blowing his loose hairs into his face.

He let out a nervous laugh, trying his best to push his hair off of his face. I reached towards him and tucked a large clump of curls behind his ear. I heard his breath hitch as when my hand got close to his face.

"Yeah, well- Um...Sorry, I'm just really nervous" Camilo said, nervous laughter laced between his words "God, I rehearsed this, I shouldn't have this much trouble."

He shapeshifted into me unconsciously, earning a soft laugh from me.

"Cami, you're me right now" I said, gesturing towards him, still laughing a bit.

Camilo looked down before transforming back to himself. He sat up and I did too so that I could look him in the eye properly.

"Sorry, this isn't...easy for me" Camilo said in a sad tone that worried me "I've never done this, I've never been the one...Ugh, I don't know."

"Camilo, are you okay?" I asked genuinely.

"Yeah, yeah! I'm fine, I promise!" Camilo answered quickly, "Okay, I can do this."

"Do what?" I asked, "Camilo, you're scaring me."

"No! Sorry!" Camilo exclaimed "Just...Just listen, okay?"

I nodded at him. I liked to listen to him. His voice was soothing yet it could cut through conversations like a knife.

Camilo let out a deep, loud sigh before speaking again.

"Y/n, I get these...unusual feelings when I'm around you. Like whenever you get really close to my face, I feel lightheaded and when we hold hands, I get this fuzzy, strange and warm feeling in my chest" Camilo told me, his tone genuine and soft, his eyes staring at the ground "And when I hear your voice I just...It makes me- I-"

Camilo began stuttering as he trailed his eyes upward and finally met mine. I noticed that his hands were trembling as he shifted his body to fully face me.

"I..." Camilo said, unable to look away from me.

I laughed softly at his kind words. I knew what he was going to say next but I didn't want to ruin the moment for him so I waited patiently for him to continue.

My heart was fluttering in my chest, it felt so light that it felt as if it was threatening to grow wings and fly away. I could feel my forehead sweating and my mouth grew dry.

"Y/n, when you're with me, I can't keep myself from smiling, as if everything will be alright if I just stay by your side" Camilo said boldly despite sounding incredibly nervous "Ever since I got to know you, I can never seem to get you off my mind and honestly, I don't think I really want to! W-What I'm trying to say is-"

Camilo took my hands and clutched them near his chest, not breaking eye contact with me. I could feel his pulse through his warm, trembling hands, his heart was beating as fast as mine, maybe even faster.

"I feel something when I'm around you that I've never felt for anyone before" he said quietly, his eyes squeezed shut "The feeling is light and airy and honestly, it feels like heaven and I think I might be..."

I internally braced myself for him to finally say it.

"I...I think I might be in love with you" he said at last, opening his eyes.

He looked at me, a worried expression on his face, his eyes silently pleading for me to reply.

I was overjoyed and couldn't stop myself from wrapping my arms around him quickly, rushing to give him a hug.

"Camilo," I whispered, knowing he could hear me since we were so close "I love you too."

His arms wrapped around my waist and he hugged me back, pushing me towards him more. He rested his chin on my shoulder and I could feel his chest on mine and his heartbeat's soothing rhythm.

The two of us stayed in that position for a few more moments, both of us perfectly content with each other's company.

-----

It might be a bit corny but I hope you enjoyed it anyway. I'm sure in my head it was a bit more romantic lmao.

-Kolour