Chapter thirty four: Treat him

Once everyone had gathered in the dining area, mama stood in front of the Madrigal family tree. She cleared her throat and took a breath.

"Alright, Marcos' gift ceremony was supposed to be five days after his birthday, when the blank glowing door appeared, but we delayed it because Y/n was in a coma and none of us were ready to plan another big gathering with the town" my mother explained "The people in town were also still taking in what had happened at Marcos' birthday."

Marcos shifted uncomfortably at the thought. Then it dawned on me that I had ruined Marcos' fifth birthday. One of the most important birthdays in his life.

"But now that everyone has bounced back a bit and Y/n has woken up" mi mama continued, gesturing to me "We can begin planning for his gift ceremony!"

Smiles were exchanged between the two families. Miguel nudged Marcos slightly, making Marcos giggle.

"Now, we usually have Abuelo be in charge of it but he now stays in the retirement home in town, we don't want to bother him in his new life" my mother said.

"Yeah, I keep hearing him flirt with an old woman named Josephine" Dolores joked.

"So, we aren't pressuring you into anything but..." my mother said "Mirabel, we would like it if you hosted the gift ceremony."

We all turned to Mirabel, who had a shocked look on her face.

"Oh my-" Mirabel exclaimed before regaining her composure "I mean, ahem, I would be honoured to!"

My mother and father smiled. Julieta and Augustin nodded at Mirabel and their faces displayed their pride in their youngest daughter.

"Great! Thank you!" my mother said "I trust that everything will go well in Mirabel's hands!"

The Madrigals as well as my own family cheered for Mirabel and Marcos, the two families migrated to another room happily. But I noticed that Camilo was fidgiting with his ruana, looking down at the floor. I assumed that the way that my mother said that had unintentionally made Camilo feel guilty about what happened at Marcos' birthday party.

I put my hand over his and stopped him from fiddling with his ruana. He turned his head to look at me and I smiled at him softly. He smiled back and intertwined out fingers so that we were holding hands.

"I've already told you like fifty times, it wasn't your fault Cami" I assured him.

"I know, it's not just that it's..." he said "It's just that Mirabel is trusted with everything nowadays, y'know? After my Abuela died, Mirabel took her place as head of the family and she's doing amazing! Everyone in town trusts her with their problems and now she's being trusted to host a gift ceremony!"

Camilo was clearly proud of his cousin and very happy for her as well but there was something else. I just couldn't really tell what. I nodded at him, showing that I was listening and that he could keep going.

"I'm just jealous? I guess?" he said, making it seem like a question "It's just that nobody trusts me with anything!"

"How come?" I asked.

He was right, I noticed it around town. Sure, they would ask Camilo for help when they needed it but it was always small things, things that weren't too important. If Camilo offered to do something that needed any type of special care or extra concentration or more responsibility, they would call someone else and shy away from his offer.

They didn't trust him.

"I guess it was just pranks that I do?" he said "Maybe not, maybe it's something else. A lot of people see me as a trouble maker. Even at school, the adults hate me!"

He laughed but I could tell there was a little bitterness in it. It wasn't his sweet usual laugh.

"Is it something I'm doing? A vibe I'm putting off or something?" he asked.

"I'm not sure. I've noticed it too, people tend to give more important tasks to the rest of your family or even someone in mine and we've only been here for a little less than a month." I said "But...If it makes you feel any better, I trust you."

I smiled at him softly, as genuinely as I could.

"Y'know, that actually does help" Camilo said, smiling back at me "Thank you, y/n."

"Of course!" I said, lightening the mood a bit "Let's start with our chores now, okay? I just have to clean my room today since I'm still pretty weak then we can maybe hang out?"

His smile grew into a bright grin. He nodded at me, helped me to my room and then skipped off to do his chores and help around town. I guess Camilo was excited about hanging out, I guess technically we haven't really hung out in a while, it didn't feel that long for me but it was over a week for him.

I should treat him.

-----

Yuh, another uneventful chapter, my apologies.

The somewhat boring chapters are leading up to Marcos' gift ceremony and I'm pretty sure that chapter will be pretty interesting so just stay tuned!

-Kolour