Chapter thirteen: Thank you

We stared at each other for a while. He looked almost desperate. What was he thinking about right now?

"How did you get past it?" he asked, his voice shaking.

I noticed his arms were shivering, or at least the parts of his arms that weren't hidden by his signature yellow ruana.

"I'm not sure" I replied, taking a seat next to him as I made my room go right side up "I got over that feeling years ago."

He looked like he was about to cry. He was already sniffing. The poor thing...

"You're lucky" he said, that annoying forced laugh coming back "I feel it everyday."

I looked at him sadly. I knew what he meant. The feeling of not knowing who you were anymore because of all the shapeshifting. Taking on the body of a different person was a strange feeling and it made you feel like you weren't you. You felt obligated to take on the identity of a whole other person. Even after you transformed back into yourself, it felt like you just chipped off another piece of yourself.

"I feel useless as Camilo, you know?" he said, his voice cracking "I'm only helpful when I'm someone else..."

I immedietly wrapped my arms around him and I felt him tense up at my touch. Eventually, I felt him start to hug me back. He buried his face into the crook of my neck and sobbed into my shirt. I ran my hand through his hair and pulled at the curls with my fingers.

"Nobody would even care about me if- If I didn't have this gift!" he said into my shirt "I'm so fucking- So useless-"

"Stop that. That's so stupid" I said, pushing his shoulders so he would be sitting straight again.

I grabbed his stupid pretty face in my hands and looked him in the eye.

"You are the amazing Camilo Madrigal" I began "Everyone loves and cares about you because you are you! Because you're funny and charming and clever and handsome and-"

I stopped talking because he put his hand over mine while I was holding his face. He closed his eyes and leaned into the touch. He was smiling. He still had tears running down his cheeks but he was smiling.

"Camilo..." I said as he opened his eyes to look at me "People love you because you're you! Not because of your gift. Gift or no gift, you are amazing Camilo!"

He flug his arms around my neck and pulled me into another embrace. I was shocked at first but hugged him back, my hands rubbing his back.

"I'm sorry, y/n" he said.

"Huh? What for?" I asked.

"For being mean to you when we first met" he answered "For all the shoving and glaring and scowling-"

I laughed, which caught him off guard.

"Aw, Camilo! That's okay!" I said "I've forgiven you already, we're good now, right?"

He nodded or at least did the best he could considering he had his chin resting on my shoulder.

"I just...Your gift is so similar to mine and I felt threatened!" he admitted "I thought that people would realize that I was useless and replace me..."

I hugged him tighter. This idiota, I swear-

"You aren't useless, Camilo" I said, sternly "I could never replace you, nobody could ever replace you!"

He began sobbing again. I didn't mind, I remember how I used to get when I was like this.

"You wanna know how I got past this?" I asked him, pulling away from the embrace, even though I really loved his warmth.

He nodded, sniffing and wiping his tears. I pulled a tissue from my drawer and went back to him. I wiped the tissue across his left cheek.

"I finally realized that it wasn't my gift that made me" I explained "That I was my own person, with or without my gift. I started taking better care of myself and stopped shapeshifting when it wasn't necessary"

He zoned out, his eyes were blank but I knew he was listening to me. He nodded slowly.

"Hey, Camilo?" I asked.

"Hm?" he replied "Y/n, what is it?"

I took the tissue away from his face, noticing something sort of shiny on it.

"Are you wearing eyeshadow?" I asked, chuckling a little.

"I- Yeah, why? I thought it looked good" he answered, a small smile creeping onto his lips "Why, is it too much?"

"Not really" I said "Well...Maybe a little."

He punched my arm, it didn't hurt that much. I let out a small grunt when he did.

"Hey, you're the one that called me handsome earlier" he said, that lovely smirk back on his face.

I pretended not to know what he was talking about.

"Hm? I do not recall that at all" I said, trying my best not to laugh.

"No? You don't remember calling me handsome?" he asked, flashing a charming grin "What about charming? Do you remember that? Funny? Clever? Anything ringing a bell?"

He was inching his face closer to mine with every word.

"Nope, I've got nothing" I said pushing him away.

We stayed silent for a while. Staring at each other, both of us trying not to be the first to laugh.

Eventually, I broke and we both started laughing hysterically. My stomach was starting to hurt.

"Ow- Ow! I'm gonna have a six pack after this- Ow!" I said wincing at the pain.

Camilo and I's laughter finally died down. The silence came back but this time it was comfortable.

"Thank you y/n" he said "Thank you."

--------

Idk if this was cute or sad or cringe but whatever.

Behold, my attempt at writing a crying person x comforting person chapter. Please forgive me.

-Kolour