Chapter 3: Life in the Fire Nation

Chiara settled into her new life in Iroh's home, though the first few weeks she struggled with vivid nightmares involving her mother, blood, and fire. She dealt with her trauma by immersing herself in learning everything she could and always keeping busy.

Early one morning after a particularly vivid nightmare and unable to get back to sleep, she wandered about the house trying to take her mind off her dream. Hearing the servants in the kitchen she entered to see them busily working preparing the meals for the day.

Tai, the head chief, was startled when he spotted their young guest, and seeing how small and young she was, he understood why Iroh could not resist bringing her home.

"You must be Lady Chiara," he smiled.

She nodded. "Yes, sir," she said softly.

"The sun isn't even up yet, little one. Are you hungry already?"

She shook her head. "No, sir."

"Can't sleep?"

She shook her head again.

The other servants in the kitchen were taking quick, curious glances at her as they worked.

"May I help?" she asked Tai.

He looked surprised. "I'm not sure Prince Iroh wants you working in the kitchen. Besides, what would you want to do in here?"

She looked around before pointing at the carrot yams.

"Those need to be peeled," he said.

She nodded her head, and he raised his eyebrows when he saw her pick up a knife and carefully peel one of them. He smiled as he watched her.

"Just be careful. The last thing I want is to be gutted by that knife if the prince finds out you were hurt because I let you work."

She nodded again.

Before breakfast, Iroh was surprised to learn she had been helping in the kitchen so early in the morning. He knew she had been struggling with nightmares, and he suspected it was her way of coping with her trauma, so he did not restrict her from laboring with the servants. She did not limit herself to the kitchen, though, and it soon became apparent how helpful she was as she could often be found aiding everyone in the house no matter how menial the labor.

Everyday, Iroh, Lu Ten, and Chiara ate their meals together and engaged in various activities together as well when Iroh was not busy with his princely or military duties at the palace. Zuko spent a great deal of time at Iroh's as he and Lu Ten practiced firebending, and Chiara always joined in learning the moves of the firebenders despite not being one. After firebending practice, Zuko and Chiara always battled with swords taking advice from Lu Ten and taking turns sparring against him as well.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was a couple weeks after Iroh's return to the Fire Nation that Fire Lord Azulon had a royal ball. The royal family, the nobles, and high ranking officers that were not deployed, as well as their families, were in attendance. Iroh and Lu Ten looked regal in their princely clothing, the elder wearing the headpiece marking him as Crown Prince. Chiara was by his side dressed like a member of the royal family. Azula, Zuko, and Chiara were the youngest to be present, but for the noble families only those over the age of twelve were allowed to attend, and there were quite a few. With Azulon growing older, many suspected Iroh would soon take his place as Fire Lord making Lu Ten the Crown Prince, and many parents were anxious to show off their teenage daughters hoping they might catch the eye of the young man.