Chapter 30: Siege of the North Pole

The next morning Zhao called Iroh and Chiara to his office. He had been giving Chiara's marriage condition serious thought, and he was ready to give his decision.

"General Iroh, Lady Chiara," he greeted them.

He motioned for them to sit. Chiara sat quietly keeping her eyes on him as he sat down. She was trying to read his decision in his face, but whatever he decided, it did not show in his countenance. She knew, though, that no matter which option he chose she would lose in some way.

When Zhao was seated, he fixed his eyes on her. He could still see the sadness that was in her eyes the previous day, but he realized it did not bring him the same satisfaction as before.

He folded his hands on his desk. "I have given your proposal a great deal of consideration," he started. "Due to the conditions, however, I'm afraid I'll have to decline your offer."

His ego would never be satisfied with just his family. He would always desire more-more wealth, more control, and especially more power, and he believed he would gain far more power from the Siege than from their marriage.

Iroh breathed a silent sigh of relief upon hearing his decision. He had been making mental plans to prevent her from following through if had Zhao chosen otherwise.

"Please don't attack the Northern Water Tribe," Chiara begged him. "They have no resources that will benefit the Fire Nation. It'll just be a massacre of innocent people."

"As I've said before, once the Fire Nation conquers the world there will be no more war."

"But there's no war except that which you're creating," she argued.

"I'm preventing a future attack by a Tribe of secretive savages," he insisted.

She did not even realize she was now sitting on the edge of her chair. "I beg you, Admiral, please reconsider this aggressive action."

"It's too late to call off the Siege," he said with finality. "We'll be leaving first thing in the morning." He stood up ready to end the conversation. "I do thank you for your time, General Iroh, Lady Chiara."

Iroh helped Chiara to her feet and after leaving Zhao's office, he escorted her back to her quarters.

------------------------------

When they entered her room, Chiara sat on the bed and broke down in tears as Iroh sat next to her and held her in his arms.

"I'm so sorry, Chiara," he said.

He gently rubbed her back still amazed that she was willing to sacrifice her own pride by marrying a man she despised in order to protect the Water Tribe.

"It was a noble sacrifice you were willing to undergo for them," he said softly while continuing to hold her.

"I feel like such a terrible person."

He released her and lifted her chin to look in her eyes. "How can you say that after what you just did?"

"I'm relieved he refused," she said softly, tears streaming down her cheeks.

"Oh, Chiara," he said taking her in his arms again. "That doesn't make you terrible. It's natural for you to want to avoid a life of pain and misery you know would result from such a union."

He, too, felt relieved that Zhao declined the proposal.

__________________________________________________________

Early the next morning Iroh stood on the upper deck with Zhao.

"My fleet is ready," announced the admiral. "Set a course for the Northern Water Tribe."