Chapter 44: Voluntary Exile in the Earth Kingdom

It was still dark when they reached land, but they gathered their supplies and started their journey inland.

"We should change clothes," said Iroh.

"I have gold," said Zuko. "But it's not like I can just walk into a village dressed like this," he said of his Fire Nation attire.

"Princess Chiara and I will go."

They walked along a path and were relieved when they came upon a farm with several ostrich horses.

"If it weren't so late, we could offer to buy what we need," said Iroh. "But I think it will be okay to leave gold in compensation."

Chiara cut part of her skirt to make a bag for the gold, and while Zuko took two of the animals, she hung the bag from the barn door.

After packing most of their supplies onto Iroh's animal, Zuko and Chiara shared the other.

---------------------

They traveled for hours before finally coming to rest near a river just as the sun was beginning to light up the sky.

"Chiara, why don't you get water," said Iroh. "I could use a nice cup of hot tea."

Zuko held a bucket out to her, so she took it and started towards the river. Iroh began setting up a small campfire, while Zuko unpacked a teapot, dried tea leaves, and three cups.

"I'm glad, Nephew, you know how to pack necessities," beamed Iroh when he saw the teapot.

"You taught me well, Uncle."

Zuko stood up and went down to the river where he found Chiara gathering flowers growing along the bank.

"Chiara."

She turned to him.

"Jasmine," he said when he looked at the flowers in her hand. He could smell the sweet scent. "Uncle'll love that."

He raised his eyes to look into her soft green ones. Her disheveled hair and bruised skin did not lessen the beauty he could see in her. He tenderly touched underneath the bruise on her cheek bone feeling responsible for the condition she was in. Overwhelmed with guilt, he knelt down before her again just as he had done on the boat with his face to the ground.

"I don't deserve to be called your husband," he said. "But if you'll have me back, I promise I will never break my vows to you again."

She said nothing, and he grew nervous with her continuing silence as he suspected she was about to reject him, but as much as it hurt him, he knew that she would be justified in doing so.

She was quietly considering his sincerity. Life had been difficult the last time they traveled through the Earth Kingdom, and she feared he might come to regret suffering through another exile. But after all he had gone through to rescue Iroh and her and giving up his life in the Fire Nation, she was sure his promise was sincere.

"I love you, my Prince," she said softly.

He looked up at her. "That-that's not my title anymore."

"You'll always be my prince."

Her words sent a jolt through his heart, and unable to resist, he stood up and took her in his arms gently pressing his lips against hers. Despite the lingering worries she was trying to ignore, her eyes filled with tears of happiness at being reunited with him, and she relaxed in his embrace, enjoying his affectionate kiss. After indulging his desire to taste her soft lips, he reluctantly released her. Removing the cord from around his neck he pulled the other end out of his tunic and held it up showing their wedding rings at the bottom. She placed the flowers in her pocket and allowed him to return his ring to her finger before she replaced hers on his hand. He kissed her one more time before picking up the bucket of water and carrying it for her as they returned to Iroh.