Chapter 62: Fulfilling Destiny

Near the end of Chiara's third week in the prison, Dako was trying to talk his friend into a daring trip.

"I'm telling you, Zomi," he said, "we can do it. We could be back by morning."

"I don't trust her." He was not sure if he truly meant those words, but it might have been the fear of getting caught.

"Isn't  your son worth it? The letter said he's not improving even with the  doctor's help. We can have your wife meet us part way, Princess Chiara  heals him, and we head back here. We'll be back before morning shift.  Demi and Nai said they'll cover for us that night."

"What if she escapes?"

"We'll make it look like she escaped from the prison on her own."

Zomi was hesitant, but worry over his son's condition exceeded his fear of the consequences, so he agreed.

That night as soon as everyone was locked in their cells, Dako and Zomi entered Chiara's cell.

"Princess Chiara," Dako greeted her bowing respectfully as he had been doing recently. "We have a request."

"What is it?"

"Zomi's son is very sick, and he's getting worse. We need your help."

"I'll do whatever I can," she said.

"We need to temporarily break you out of the prison. His wife will meet us part way with him."

She wanted to help, but she hesitated.

"We can do it in one night and be back in the prison before sunrise," he explained. "No one'll know you were gone."

"What if we get caught?" she asked.

"We'll have to say you tried to escape," said Zomi truthfully.

She contemplated it. "And if I do escape?"

That she even asked that question as if she might attempt it worried Zomi. "If you do escape, we'll be put in prison and severely punished," he said.

"Could you at least heal Zomi's son first?"

Zomi looked at him. "Really, Dako? You're going to encourage her?"

"I'm just saying that if she does consider an escape that she at least heal your son before she tries."

Zomi turned back to her. "If you do try, we'll have to...we'll have to use any means necessary to stop you," he threatened.

"When do we leave?" she asked.

Her ready acceptance was no surprise to them, but it left them somewhat apprehensive that she might try to break free.

"Zomi  will send a message to his wife tonight on where to meet us," said  Dako. "We'll head out in two days right after lock down, and we'll be  back before sunrise."

She nodded.

With her consent, the two guards moved on with their plan and began their preparations.

=====================

A  few days later, the Gaang had completed another unsuccessful search,  and they had just finished packing up their camp to move on. Everyone  but Zuko had climbed onto Appa's saddle.

"Come on, Hotman," said Aang holding the reins.

He looked up at the Avatar. "I'm not going with you. I need to continue this alone."

Sokka, Katara, and Toph leaned over the saddle, and they all spoke at the same time. "What?"

"It's  been almost a month and we're no closer to finding Chiara now than we  were weeks ago. There's still a war going on. It's not going to stop for  my quest, and I can't expect you to stop fighting to help me."