Chapter 54: Girls' Night Out

After resting a short time, Chiara began feeling restless, so she and Zuko left the room. As they walked through the temple, their memories of being there before when he was searching for the Avatar were still vivid.

"It's hard to believe this is where you started your journey looking for the Avatar as an enemy," she said as she held onto his arm. "And now you're starting your journey here as his ally."

He smiled as he thought about her words. "You're right. Destiny is a funny thing."

She was giggling at his imitation of his uncle.

When they arrived in the courtyard, they saw more than just Aang, Sokka, Katara, and Toph, and Chiara was surprised to see another familiar face among them.

"Teo!"

"Chiara?" he said when he saw her. "It's good to see you again."

Still in his wheelchair he approached them.

"I can't believe you're here," she said, amazed at how much older he looked now that he was a young teenager. "Remember Teo?" she asked Zuko.

"How can I forget," he said unenthusiastically.

"You all know each other?" asked Aang.

"Yes," said Chiara.

"They came to the Northern Air Temple," said Teo.

"Teo was going to help me fly," she said. "I thought it would be the closest thing to being an airbender."

Aang laughed.

"It's amazing, isn't it?" asked Katara.

"I never got the chance," said Chiara.

"I wouldn't let her jump off the air temple," said Zuko seriously.

He was confused by their laughter unsure of why the others found it so funny that he prevented her from leaping to her death.

"So what are you doing here?" Chiara asked Teo.

They all sat down in the courtyard while he told them his story of meeting the Avatar and how he and his father joined in the invasion on the Day of Black Sun. After listening to Teo, Zuko and Chiara learned The Duke's history with Jet and the Freedom Fighters and Haru's escape from the prison rig and how they all came to be part of the invasion team.

Later, after lunch, Chiara looked up at Zuko.

"Is it okay if I walk around the temple?" she asked.

He was reminded of their first visit there.

"I'll go with y..."

"No," she interrupted placing her hand on his arm. "You stay and socialize. It's been years since we've been here, and I just want to look around."

He nodded. "Okay. Do not stray too far," he said imitating Iroh and making her laugh.

"You're adorable," she whispered in his ear as she stood up.

As soon as she disappeared, Zuko suddenly felt out of place sitting there by himself with his long-time enemies-turned-allies. Chiara's presence had been like a cushion between him and the others providing a sense of comfort from the awkwardness. Her absence made the uncomfortable situation more painful as he watched them talking among themselves while avoiding eye contact with him. He wondered if Chiara left with the intention of encouraging him to bond with them on his own. He felt like a baby bird pushed out of its nest too soon. He could not imagine how he was supposed to bond with the same people he had angrily chased all over the world or with those whose families had been broken up because of his own family's blood lust. He sat there quietly lost in his own thoughts as the others continued their conversations not paying him any mind.