Chapter 71: Return to the Western Air Temple

When Zuko released Chiara from his embrace, all the fire nation prisoners around them knelt down.

"Hail, Prince Zuko."

"They are not many, Prince Zuko," said Sozoh, "but they are the start of an army willing to fight for you."

"I am honored," said Zuko. "For years the Fire Lords have led a war against the other Nations destroying innocent lives, including those of the Fire Nation. It's the job of the Avatar to face the Fire Lord and restore balance to our Nations, but Ozai has an army behind him and it will be our job to neutralize it and help restore peace to the world."

All the Fire Nation prisoners let out a cheer.

"Hey, Z," said Sokka, "I don't mean to break up your inspirational speech, but we're having a meeting that we can't start without you. And by the way, this is Suki, leader of the Kyoshi Warriors, my girlfriend."

"Actually, we met a long time ago," said Suki stiffly.

"We did?" asked Zuko.

"Yeah, you kind of burned down my village."

"Oh," said Zuko sheepishly, rubbing the back of his neck. "Sorry about that. Nice to see you again."

Chiara bowed to her. "I had no idea I had been in the presence of a Kyoshi Warrior," she said. "It's been a long time, Suki."

Suki was surprised by her humble greeting. "I'm sorry. Have we met before?"

"Many years ago on Kyoshi Island. I visited there as Lin."

Suki's eyes lit up as she remembered. "Lin? I didn't know you were in the prison." Suki hugged her. "I never saw you."

"I was in the labor sector. I didn't recognize you without your makeup."

Suki laughed as she released her.

"And I had no idea you were a waterbender," she said to Chiara.

"Until recently, very few people did," she said.

"So you two know each other?" asked Sokka.

"The General and I visited Kyoshi Island many years ago."

"Huh...it's a small world," he said.

"I've always wanted to train with the Kyoshi Warriors," she said.

"She really did," smiled Zuko.

"If we can get through this war, then you can join us," said Suki.

"I don't know about that," said Zuko taking her hand and gripping it tightly.

"So you're married to him?" Suki asked her. "You're who they broke in to rescue?"

"Yes and yes," Chiara smiled. "My obstinate, yet incredible husband should've been training the Avatar."

Zuko looked a little embarrassed. "But...but if I hadn't broken in, then I wouldn't have had a chance to...uh...pardon all these prisoners," he said trying to justify his actions.

That made her laugh. "You really are incredible."

"Why would they put you in Sector 2?" asked Suki.

"Idem and I have a history."

"It must be some history for him to put you in the labor sector."

Chiara shrugged. "It was still a vacation compared to the last time I was in prison."

"We'll have to catch up later," said Sokka. "Right now, we should get to that meeting."

Zuko had hold of Chiara's hand and pulled her along with him into a room where Hakoda, Sozoh, Zaro, and a few others were discussing their plans. Izin, always staying somewhere near Chiara, also followed them into the room as did the Imperial Firebenders.