Chapter 11: Banished from the Fire Nation

Days later after everyone walked out of the war meeting, Iroh remained behind. Ozai, the flames still rising up around him as he sat on his throne, looked down at him.

"You have something you want to say, Brother?" said the Fire Lord as if daring Iroh to challenge him.

"You cannot allow Prince Zuko to fight the Agni Kai," said Iroh. "He's just a child."

"A disrespectful child who should not have spoken," he said deeply.

Iroh was appalled by his brother's resentment towards his own child. "Ozai, he is your son..."

Ozai scoffed at Iroh's words. "Any son of mine would've known to keep his mouth shut!"

"You know he is right," argued Iroh. "To sacrifice our own men, it is disgraceful."

"It was my understanding that you were retired, General Iroh. Your opinions no longer bear weight when it comes to the war. And as for Zuko, I am Fire Lord, not you." He took sadistic pleasure in reminding his brother of his position.

Iroh ignored the personal barb and focused on the situation with his nephew. "Then as you are Fire Lord, allow me to stand in for Prince Zuko."

Ozai's lip curled at Iroh's attempt to save Zuko. "It was the boy's disrespect that called for this duel."

"I allowed him in the War Room. I am just as responsible."

"Then your request is denied," said Ozai. "He will pay for his disrespect."

Iroh could not understand why he was so insistent that his own son participate in the Agni Kai. "I beg you to reconsider, Brother. Bujing is a seasoned general..."

"Yes, and do you really believe the general will harm the Crown Prince?"

Iroh narrowed his eyes. "Considering Bujing's plan for the new recruits, I suspect he wouldn't hesitate to hurt Zuko, even if he's royalty."

"Come now, Iroh," said Ozai smoothly. "I am a merciful father. I am merely teaching my son a valuable lesson." He spoke the word 'son' as if it were repulsive.

Realizing he could not change Ozai's mind, Iroh turned to leave the room without even a bow towards the Fire Lord.

------------------------------------

At sunset, Zuko was in the Agni Kai chamber of the palace preparing for his duel against Bujing. A servant was wrapping the traditional band around his upper arm. Crowds of people filled the chamber to witness the Agni Kai between the Crown Prince and the general. Iroh stood among them anxiously watching his nephew hoping he would remember the firebending advice he had given him prior to the duel. For the past year Ozai refused to allow Iroh to take over Zuko's firebending instruction, but it did not stop Iroh from working with him whenever his nephew visited. He was sure that Zuko could be a skillful firebender with proper instruction and without his father's severe punishments to discourage him, but what could be would not help him now as he was about to duel a man with far more experience. He only hoped Ozai was right and that Bujing would go easy on the young Crown Prince.

Iroh's eyes left Zuko who was now kneeling while the servant placed a gold trimmed crimson garment over his shoulders. Looking towards the other end of the chamber, he was instantly filled with worry when he spotted Bujing in the crowd standing next to General Ikong and not opposite Zuko. His eyes moved to where Bujing should have been kneeling; his worry turned into panic.

At the sound of the gong, Zuko stood and turned allowing his shoulder garment to fall to the ground. His eyes grew wide when he focused on his opponent. Turning to face him was not Bujing but Fire Lord Ozai. Terror filled the young prince. He could not fight his own father.