Chapter 87: End of a Long Day

The courtyard of the palace entrance was lit up by fires burning in braziers lining the perimeter. Against the starlit sky fifteen dark shapes were flying towards the palace. Zuko stood in the front, against Kaito's wishes, with Chiara and Katara on each side, as well as Bato, Kaito, Izin, and a dozen others made up of guards and Imperial Firebenders.

Ezih ran up to Chiara. "Princess Chiara, Amiku is quite upset to learn that you're out here in your delicate condition, especially if they are enemy soldiers approaching."

"It was my delicate condition that helped me fight earlier," she said.

Zuko smirked to himself, but Ezih did not understand what she meant.

"Princess, there are plenty of soldiers here to fight this battle," he argued.

"I refuse to hide underground when I can help in this fight," she argued back

"I told her you would be quite stubborn about it." He bowed his head to her. "And I would expect no less from the Daughter of the Dragon of the West."

She smiled at him.

"But I did promise Amiku I would stay with you." He took his place between her and Izin. "You do realize that if we survive this, we'll both suffer Amiku's wrath?"

"If it means surviving this, then I look forward to it," she said.

"I'm not so sure I do," he muttered.

They faced the airships as they began landing before them. All the guards and soldiers in the courtyard and hidden in various areas stood ready for whoever might step off the ships.

Familiar faces began pouring out of the airships: Zaro, Sozoh, Nai, Dako, Zomi, Rizin, Shin, Ezo, Jiro, Damon, and others from the prison.

Chiara's eyes lit up upon seeing them, especially Nai who was just as happy to see her.

"Princess," she bowed. "Prince Zuko."

"Nai," he greeted her.

When she straightened, Chiara stepped forward and hugged her. "It's good to see you, Lady Nai."

Rizin bowed deeply. "Prince Zuko, Princess Chiara."

"Rizin," said Zuko.

"How have you been?" asked Chiara.

"Good, Princess. Honored to serve the Fire Nation."

"How's your family?"

"They're doing good. They'll be pleased to hear of our success."

Katara had been looking anxiously at the faces searching for her family.

"Sokka!" she cried with relief when she spotted him. "Dad?!"

She ran to them hugging both at the same time, Bato right behind her to greet his friends.

Hakoda, not letting go of Sokka, wrapped an arm around his daughter. "Katara!"

She released them noticing that Hakoda was still supporting her brother. "Sokka, what happened to your leg?"

"He tried to fly, but it didn't work out," said Toph, she and Suki standing nearby.

"Let's get you inside so I can..." Katara's eyes had drifted behind him falling upon the Avatar. "Aang?!"

She ran to him, and before he could even process it, he felt her arms around him.

"Oh, sure," started Sokka, "who cares about your big brother and his broken leg."

"Come on, Sokka," said Chiara. "I'll take care of it. I really owe your sister."