Chapter 60: Unexpected Allies

Chiara spent the next day laboring at the construction site, and that night while walking to her cell before lockdown, a terrible cough caught her attention. Nearing the cell from where it was coming, she glanced inside to see an older man lying on the floor holding his chest. She took a step to enter until she felt herself being yanked back.

"What's wrong with him?" she asked Zedek.

"None of your business. Keep moving," he snapped pushing her forward.

After hearing the lock of her cell door click, she lay on her mat worrying about the sick prisoner. She would have trouble sleeping knowing he was in pain especially when she was sure she could help him.

=====================

The next day she was relieved to find herself washing dishes and clothes. She preferred keeping busy in the water rather than hauling stones. Taking advantage of doing dishes after dinner, she made sure that her clothes remained damp before lockdown.

That night she could hear the same man coughing in his cell when she walked by. Waiting until the earliest hours of the morning, she drew the water out of her clothes, and forming a lock pick out of ice, she opened her cell door and carefully peeked out into the dim hallway. Not immediately spotting any guards, she stealthily crept down the hall towards the sick prisoner's cell. She removed a lantern from the wall before quietly opening the door and stepping inside, and then she gently shut it behind her. She turned back to see the man lying on his mat struggling to breathe and it broke her heart to see someone in so poor a condition. She knelt down next to him setting the lantern nearby. The man cowered when she moved her hand towards him.

"Don't be afraid," she whispered. "I'm going to help you."

He did not move again, but it was clear he was still unnerved by the stranger in his cell. She placed her hand against his forehead.

"You're burning up."

Pulling the water from her clothes she held it over his chest where it began to glow amazing the man as he watched it, but even more so when he felt her healing power penetrate his body, especially his lungs relieving him of the cough that had kept him curled up in pain.

When she finished she dropped the water on her clothes before feeling his forehead again. She was satisfied that he no longer had a fever or cough. The man was taking deep, clear breaths astonished, yet relieved, that his illness was gone after having suffered for days with a cough and labored breathing.

"You should get some sleep now," she said as she went to stand.

He grabbed her wrist before she could get up. "What is your name?"

"Chiara."

His eyes showed recognition. "You are the waterbender. You're Prince Zuko's wife, daughter of General Iroh."

She nodded, but she had not expected to hear the tone of excitement in his voice having heard nothing but revulsion since her time in the prison.

"I am Captain So...uh...former Captain Sozoh," he said sitting up. "It's an honor to meet you."

She realized he was trying to bow to her.

"I'm sorry we had to meet this way, Captain," she said placing her hand on his shoulder to help him up from his bowing position.

"Thank you, Princess Chiara."

She was surprised by his address, but she smiled at him and nodded her head.

"You should lie down," she said. "You need to rest."

He was marveling at the lack of tightness in his chest. "Thank you," he repeated softly.