Chapter 78: More Unexpected Allies and an Unexpected Surprise

Over the next few days, Chiara continued watching Zuko, Aang, and Izin train, but any participation made her feel dizzy, and after passing out a few more times Zuko would not allow her to practice with them. He had not shared with the others his concerns about Chiara struggling with memories of Lu Ten, and she had insisted she did not want to leave the island since she knew it was the safest place for them.

"I think it's time to find a doctor," said Zuko when she was nursing another nosebleed after Katara's treatment had no effect.

She wondered if a doctor could even help since Katara was unable to. She could tolerate the nosebleeds, but she found the dizziness more than annoying as it was interfering with her work forcing her to remain still most of the time.

"Where can we find someone who won't recognize us?" she asked.

He thought back to the doctor from the Earth Kingdom who had helped her when she was injured, but he knew the village was too far and suspected that it may have even been seized by the Fire Nation by now.

"Sir," said Izin, "I've heard of a healer from one of the villages on my home island."

Zuko looked at him. "If you think they can be trusted, that's where we'll go."

"I don't know if anyone can be trusted, Prince Zuko, but it's unlikely that they'll recognize her there."

He nodded. "Go to town and rent a boat. We'll leave first thing in the morning."

"Yes, sir."

=======================================

Early the next morning before sunrise, Zuko took Chiara aboard the boat Izin had rented along with the supplies Suki and Katara packed for them. Izin, being familiar with the location of the island, went with the couple. They arrived later that morning.

"Izin, stay here with the boat." Zuko was placing an eye patch over his scarred eye. "If we're not back before sunset, assume the worst and leave."

"Maybe I should go with you." Despite witnessing the couple's skill in battle, the former soldier was eager to help protect the princess.

"It's best if you remain here in case something happens to us. Then you can get back to Aang and make sure he continues his training."

Izin hated the idea of any trouble befalling the young couple, but he reluctantly nodded.

"The village is called Hira'a," he said. "The path through the woods should lead you to it."

He remained on the boat while Zuko and Chiara started down the path that led towards the woods. Their trek seemed to go on forever before they finally cleared the forest, and they continued following the path through a meadow.

He was becoming concerned when he noticed she was slowing down. "Are you okay?"

"The ground is moving too much."

He stopped and stared at her. "The ground's not moving at all."

"Tell that to my brain."

He lifted the water skin she was carrying and held it up to her. "Here, drink." She took it from him. "Do you want me to carry you?"

She shook her head. "No. I can do this," she said after drinking the water.

"Wait..." He took her arm and led her to a large rock nearby. "Sit. You're bleeding again."

She rolled her eyes frustrated with herself, but she sat down and cleaned the blood from her face. He had hoped getting her away from Ember Island might help, but he could see no improvement in her condition.