Chapter 105: Paradise Regained

When Ursa, Noren, and Kiyi arrived in Iroh's office, he stood up from his desk.

"Lady Ursa," he greeted her. "I'm deeply grateful for the opportunity to see you again."

The couple bowed to him. Noren gently tapped Kiyi's shoulder until she imitated them.

"Fire Lord Iroh," said Ursa, "thank you for allowing us to be here and for the accommodations you provided."

"Please, call me Iroh," he replied. She straightened up to see him respectfully bowing to her. "And let me express how sorry I am for all the pain you suffered at the hands of my family."

Her eyes softened with her gentle smile. "Iroh, what are you apologizing for?" She stepped forward and embraced him. "Your presence in the family always gave me hope." He was touched by her kind words and gesture. When she stepped back she motioned towards her family. "This is my husband Noren and our daughter Kiyi."

"I am pleased to meet you, Noren."

"It's an honor, Fire Lord," he bowed again.

Iroh chuckled. "I believe as family you may also call me Iroh."

Noren placed his hand on his daughter's head. "Kiyi, this is Prince Zuko's and Princess Azula's uncle, Fire Lord Iroh."

Iroh's eyes fell on Kiyi. "Prince Zuko and Princess Chiara are quite taken with their little sister. It is a pleasure to meet you, Lady Kiyi." He bent down and offered his hand which she happily shook.

"Are you my uncle too?" she asked innocently.

Iroh let out a jovial laugh.

"He's not your uncle," said Noren with an embarrassed smile.

"That doesn't mean you can't call me 'Uncle,'" said Iroh giving her a small wink. "Any sister of Zuko and Azula is a niece to me."

She gave him a big smile. "I never had an uncle before."

"Well, then for my first act as your uncle, I must offer you a cup of tea." He motioned towards the small table where they all knelt down.

Ezih brought in a fresh pot of tea while Iroh and his guests discussed their future in Royal Caldera. He reiterated his offer of a manor or a place in the palace, of which they chose the latter in order to remain near Ursa's children. The Fire Lord also extended an official invitation to Noren and the Hira'a Theater Troupe welcoming their performance in the Capital.

When they finished their tea and conversation, the small family started out of the Fire Lord's office, but Ursa stopped Noren in the antechamber.

"Noren, if you don't mind, I'd like to speak to Iroh alone."

He understood there were matters she was anxious to discuss with the Fire Lord without the presence of her youngest child. "Of course."

He leaned down giving her a small kiss. Kiyi wrinkled her nose at the sight of her father kissing the woman everyone was insisting was definitely her mother.

"Daddy, can we explore the palace now?" she said pulling on his hand.

He smiled down at his daughter. "Yes, let's go explore."

Ursa watched them leave before turning back to the Fire Lord's office. She took a deep breath. When Zuko had met with her earlier, he told her that he explained everything to Iroh, but she still felt she needed to speak with him privately.

"Iroh, do you mind...?"

When he looked up from his desk and saw her standing at the door he smiled. "Not at all." He stood up and walked back to the small table. "Please, sit."