Chapter 69: Change of Plans

Early that evening before shift change, Nai went to find Dako, Zomi, and Sokka. After searching, she finally found them leaving the barracks.

"We need to talk," she said.

Dako nodded and they went to a spot where they could speak privately.

"Z's in the cooler," she said.

"What?!" asked Dako. "How?!"

"What's the cooler?" asked Sokka.

"It's where they put firebenders," explained Nai. "He won't be able to firebend for a week after he gets out." She looked at Dako. "Zedak started beating Princess Chiara and Z...Prince Zuko snapped."

"Why was he beating her?" asked Sokka, his normally light voice sounding deep and dark.

"She used waterbending to help Zaro who fell. Zedak hit her and whipped her, but before he could strike her again, Prince Zuko was on him. Honestly, I'm surprised he held out as long as he did considering the way Zedak's been treating her."

"Zuko said his uncle always told him he didn't think things through," started Sokka, "but I probably would've done the same."

"I should've known he wouldn't be able to handle it," she said. "He's been on edge every time she's had to deal with Zedak."

"So now the warden knows Prince Zuko's here," said Dako looking down.

Nai nodded. "He's in the cooler 'til tomorrow, and she's in isolation for a week with no food."

"A week without food?" asked Sokka appalled.

"Yes."

"I don't know what we're going do now," said Dako hopelessly. "Everyone'll know Prince Zuko's here."

"Wait," said Sokka. "Why would that change anything?"

"A lot of the guards might fear the Fire Lord getting involved," answered Zomi.

"It'll be at least a week before that happens," said Nai.

"How do you know?" asked Dako.

"The warden said if she's still alive after a week he's going to burn her to death in front of Prince Zuko before sending him to the Fire Lord for execution."

All three guys, especially Sokka, felt nauseated at the thought of Chiara's execution.

"Why don't we just move the plan to tomorrow?" suggested Sokka.

They stared at him.

"I don't know if that's possible," said Dako.

"Look," said Sokka, "the prisoners like Chiara. Zuko came to rescue her, but now he's been imprisoned, so the other prisoners start rioting and everything goes as planned."

"But tomorrow's too soon," said Dako. "We need to have all the sectors coordinated."

"Then how about the next day? We can use tonight and tomorrow to set it up."

"It could work," said Dako slowly as he considered it. "It would be a perfect excuse for the riot too. If the other guards are still willing, then we can go through with it."

"Prince Zuko won't be able to firebend though," said Nai.

"He doesn't need to," said Sokka. "A lot of the prisoners aren't benders anyway."

"Okay," said Dako. "We'll start working on it, but we have to move fast."

Nai held out a small bag, a knife, and a sheath to Sokka. "These are Prince Zuko's. When you escape, make sure he gets them."