Chapter 48: Paradise Lost

Taking their weekly trip to the market, they sold their fish and extra scallops that Chiara had gathered.

"I'm going to speak to the doctor to catch up on the latest news," said Iroh. "When you guys are finished meet me there."

He left them and started on the path to the doctor's home.

"Welcome, Mushi," said the doctor when he answered the door. "Lee and Lin aren't with you this week?"

"They're still at the market."

"Come in. I have some updates."

Iroh stepped inside.

"The Fire Nation has just taken Lopao," said the doctor gravely as they sat down at the table.

"Then it won't be long before they move here," said Iroh worriedly.

"More and more scouts have been appearing on the roads."

Iroh nodded thoughtfully. "We'll have to move on soon." He sighed. "It's a shame. I have never seen Lee so happy. He has no interest in anything outside our life at the cabin."

"The war's getting closer. He'll have no choice but to take an interest."

Iroh looked at the doctor. "Any news on the Avatar?"

"None. If he's still alive, then he's been lying low."

"Hopefully he's receiving the training he needs. He will need to defeat not only Ozai, but Azula. If she succeeds her father on the throne, she'll be just as ruthless and she'll keep this war going."

"And Lee doesn't want the throne?"

"I cannot expect him to give up Lin," said Iroh resignedly.

"He shouldn't have to give her up."

"But many will not accept her...or their children as the rightful heirs."

"It'll be difficult for some, but it may be just what this world needs. I think it'll be a good thing."

"Mixed blood is unheard of in the royal family," said Iroh.

"This war has taken its toll on many even in the Fire Nation. This change will be welcome to many."

Iroh looked doubtful. "In my experience in the Capital, there were deep prejudices against the other Nations."

"In the nobility, maybe, but what about the commoners and the families in the outer colonies? There must be many others who would not oppose such a union."

"I hope you're right," said Iroh.

The doctor's wife placed tea before each of them.

"Thank you, Lara," said Iroh.

"You're welcome, Mushi."

After their stroll around the market, Zuko and Chiara arrived at the doctor's home.

"Are you coming to the festival next week?" he asked them as they were sipping their tea.

Iroh raised his eyebrows. "Why are you looking at me?" he asked when Zuko and Chiara's eyes turned to him.

"We just figured that was something you'd decide," said Zuko.

He chuckled. "I think it would be nice for you two to take a break and enjoy some entertainment."

"There'll be music and lots of food," said the doctor.

Iroh's eyes lit up. "Two of my favorite things."

"I guess that means we'll be there," said Chiara.

-------------------------

The trip back to the cabin was uneventful, and since they ate at the market, they had fewer chores around the camp when they returned. After swimming in the river, they sat on the porch listening to the chorus of badger frogs and insects in the forest.