Chapter 67: Life in Prison

After the prisoners were locked down in their cells that evening, Nai and Zuko met with Dako, Zomi, and Sokka.

"We have several more guards willing to join," said Dako. "So we're still on schedule."

"Good," said Nai. "I'm not sure how much longer loverboy here's going to hold out."

"Ha, ha...!" laughed Sokka. "...loverboy...but...uh...speaking of which...I need your help after shift change before you get some sleep," he winked making Zuko cringe.

"He'll be sleeping in the barracks tonight," said Nai.

"Not even one day and she's already kicking you out of the bedroom," teased Sokka. "What did you do?"

"I had to put her in solitary," said Zuko ashamedly.

"You what?! Why would you do that to her?"

Sokka's reaction made him feel worse, and he dropped his eyes. "I just wanted her to drink some water."

"So because she didn't you locked her up for it?"

"Zedak started walking over to them when he gave her the water," started Nai. "Princess Chiara hit the ground so that from where Zedak and I were it looked like Z slapped her."

"What did Zedak do?" asked Dako.

"You know that jerk; he loved it. The princess looked up and said, 'I just wanted a drink.' She was good. Zedak insisted she stole the canteen so he confined her to solitary. He thinks Z's on his side now."

Dako and Zomi laughed.

Zuko could not understand why they found it so funny. "She shouldn't go without food," he said sadly. "She looks so fragile."

"Don't worry about her, Z," said Dako. "Nai'll take care of her."

He was not reassured.

"I'll sneak her some food later," she said. "I've done it before."

"And at least she's getting a break. She doesn't have Zedak making her slave around out there."

Dako's point was a little consoling to him.

"Before you guys go, I need to visit a prisoner," said Sokka.

"Why do you need us?" asked Zuko. "Isn't your dad on the first level?"

"It's not my dad. It's my girlfriend."

Zuko gave him a suspicious look. "Really?"

"Yeah."

"So is this just some random girl you saw in the prison and suddenly have a crush on?" he asked.

"No," said Sokka with a playful tone of offense. "She happens to be the leader of the Kyoshi Warriors," he said proudly.

"Huh," said Zuko. "So some girl you just saw in the prison and have a crush on..."

"I'll have you know Suki and I go way back," he said.

"And she feels the same way?"

"Is it so hard to believe that she does?" asked Sokka.

"Yes, it is."

"Says the guy who put his own wife in solitary. At least my girlfriend doesn't have to put up with a moody, angry jerkbender like poor Chiara does."

"Sir, shall I lock him up in a cell for you?" Nai asked Zuko with complete seriousness upon hearing Sokka insult the prince.

Dako and Zomi were snickering.

"No," said Zuko, softly chuckling at her offer and even appreciating her sincerity. "He...he's actually not wrong."