Chapter 56: The Sun Warriors

Not long after the sun had risen, Aang, Zuko, and Chiara began packing for their journey to search for the Sun Warrior ruins.

"Chiara can stay here," said Katara to Zuko as he was putting their bag in Appa's saddle.

He jumped down. "I want her with me."

Her eyes narrowed at him. "She's not your slave that has to be serving you every second."

Her glare was piercing, but he refused to back down. "No, but she's my wife, and I don't want anything to happen to her again."

Sokka immediately did a u-turn when he spotted his sister with her hand on her hip. He recognized that posture and he knew enough to keep his distance.

"You have no idea what's going to happen to you where you're going," Katara argued with Zuko. "You may be taking her into a dangerous situation."

"But we'll be together." He was determined to win the argument.

Chiara walked up carrying the food they would be bringing.

"Chiara, you can stay here," said Katara. "You don't have to go with them."

"Yes, she does," insisted Zuko as he took the supplies from her and carried them up into the saddle.

"It's okay, Lady Katara," she assured her. "I've always wanted to see the ruins of the Sun Warriors. And apparently, a young Prince Iroh had quite an adventure on the island," she smiled. "Maybe we can make it a new family tradition."

Zuko was grinning at her idea. He jumped down from the saddle and took her hand to help her up on Appa.

"We'll be back as soon as we can, guys," called Aang from Appa's head.

Katara did not look happy. "Watch your back, Aang."

Her implication was clear, but Aang nodded.

"Yip! Yip!"

--------------------

Zuko had been staring out at nothing but water for hours. Anxiety over finding some way to fix his firebending left him feeling bored as there was no land in sight.

"We've been riding for hours," he groaned. "I don't know why, but I thought this thing would be a lot faster."

Appa growled.

"Appa's right, Zuko," started Aang, "in our group typically we start our missions with a more upbeat attitude."

"I can't believe this," said Zuko softly.

He lay back and closed his eyes finding Aang's cheerfulness more frustrating.

"Don't worry," said Aang. "You'll get the hang of it."

Chiara had been spending the hours gazing out at the water reminiscing her days on Zuko's ship.

"I think it's relaxing," she said.

He opened his eyes and stared at her incredulously. "You can barely sit still when you're injured. How can you not be bored now?"

She giggled at his observation as she moved to sit next to him. She tenderly ran her fingers through his hair, and he closed his eyes enjoying her soft touch.

"It feels good," she said. "It's like being on the ship again."

He should have known she would find something comforting in this.

"This is nothing like the ship."

She lightly caressed his forehead and cheek. "With your eyes closed, the gentle movement of Appa's flying and the wind blowing through your hair doesn't feel like we're standing on the deck sailing the ocean?"