Chapter 43: Execution

"Everything's taken care of," said Yuzo. "When you get back to this tunnel just follow it to the end. You'll find what you need to get to the shore."

"This is cutting it kind of close," said Zuko. "He's to be executed tomorrow."

"It was the soonest we could arrange the right guards in the prison. Piandao arranged for Captain Zun to meet you at the tip of the Hot Springs Peninsula."

Zuko nodded. "I have the map."

--------------------------------------

"I wish you would talk to them," said Chiara kneeling next to Iroh. "I'll plead for them to trade our sentences."

"They will require me to be executioner. And I have hope that you may one day make it out of here alive," he said believing Zuko might find a way to free her in the future.

"Will the Fire Lord not pardon his own brother?" she asked.

He huffed. "We are talking about the same man who burned and banished his own son."

"But to murder you...?"

"He is too drunk with power." He looked at her. "Do not be sad for me, Chiara. I am not deserving of compassion, especially yours."

"Why would you say that? You gave me a good life here."

"But I will never forget that I am responsible for the destruction of your village and even the death of your parents."

"It wasn't your fault."

"If I had just been sooner, I could've prevented the attack," he said sadly.

"I don't blame you; I've never blamed you, and if there's any part of the responsibility that you truly bear, I've forgiven you."

He was moved by her forgiveness, but before he could speak again, the cell door opened and two guards entered. One of them grabbed Chiara and pulled her up as the other restrained Iroh who stood up in an attempt to defend her despite being unable to use his arms.

"What are you doing?" he demanded.

"You used to be the Dragon of the West, the great General Iroh, Crown Prince of the Fire Nation. But tomorrow you'll be executed as a traitor because of this Water Tribe whore," said the guard holding him. "So tonight you're going to witness her little accident."

The other guard threw Chiara against the back wall. Iroh tried to go towards them, but was unable as the guard restraining him forced him to his knees.

"Leave her alone!" he yelled.

The guard standing over Chiara pulled out a knife, but she quickly wrapped the chain joining her shackles around his wrist and pulled him down to her right. As the knife fell to the floor, she forced his head against the wall, and then she elbowed him in the back; turning behind him, she kicked him back into the wall. Iroh was struggling to break free to help her, but the guard restraining him had chained him to the bars and went to attack Chiara.

"Get off her!" yelled Iroh still struggling against his chain.

The second guard slammed her against the wall and then struck her knocking her against another wall where she dropped to the floor. Pulling out his knife he stepped towards her, but then it fell to the floor, and the sound of bone cracking echoed through the cell. The guard barely had time to register the pain before everything went black. While both guards were lying unconscious, Zuko quickly knelt down by Chiara.

"Prince Zuko, what are you doing here?" asked Iroh.

"I'm getting you out," he said as he pulled out a key and started undoing her shackles.