Chapter 88: Beginning of a New Day

The next morning Ezih entered Zuko's room after knocking and receiving no answer. The bed was empty but neatly made, and looking around, he wondered if they had somehow managed to sneak out past the guards at the entrance of the wing. The servant who had been with him left the room, but before Ezih walked out to search for the prince and princess, he peered outside and saw the young couple on the balcony both meditating as the sun was slowly peeking over the horizon. He smiled at the sight before opening the door.

"Prince Zuko, Princess Chiara," he greeted them.

"Good morning, Ezih," said Chiara.

"Any word from Ba Sing Se?" asked Zuko.

"Not as yet, sir," he answered. "Breakfast will be served in the banquet hall for all the guests. Would you care to join them or would you prefer it brought here?"

"We'll join the others," said Zuko.

He stood up and helped Chiara to her feet before following Ezih inside.

"There are clean clothes for you," he said pointing to the bed where new clothes had been laid out. "It's all we have until we can arrange for the tailors to make proper clothing befitting the Crown Prince and Princess."

"These are perfect, Ezih," said Chiara happy to have clothes she was used to wearing.

"Amiku wasn't quite sure of your size, Princess Chiara, but she made quite a fuss complaining that you look too thin, especially for being with child."

"I've only been out of prison a couple moon cycles," she said. "And just as far along," she added in a lower tone. "Assure her that I'll fatten up soon enough."

"I'm sure she'll see to it that you do."

Zuko was softly laughing at their conversation. Having people like Ezih and Amiku that sincerely cared for them made the palace feel more like home than it ever had during the years he lived there.

"I apologize that the palace is currently short on staff," said Ezih. "It appears that Princess Azula...dismissed many servants. We're working to get that resolved, so please be patient until we can find you a proper attendant." He looked at the prince. "Prince Zuko, I will be happy to serve as your valet until you have chosen another."

"I appreciate that," he said. "But I can handle the dressing part myself."

Ezih gave him a small bow. "Very independent, much like Prince Lu Ten."

Zuko gently smiled at the compliment.

"Would you make sure the guests have clean clothes?" asked Chiara.

"It's already been done, Princess."

"You're the best, Ezih."

He bowed deeply to them, professionally hiding the smile brought on by his joy at having them home. He left them to change, and when they were ready they stepped out into the hall where they were greeted by Kaito, Nai, and Izin.

All three guards bowed to the royal couple.

"Morning, Kaito," said Chiara. "Nai, Izin."

"Princess," they responded.

"Kaito," started Zuko as they walked through the halls, his loyal guard on his left side, "did you even bother to sleep last night?"

"I did, sir."

"I thought you had a wife."

"I do, sir, and three children," he said, wondering why the prince would bring up his family.