Chapter 100: Family Reunited

Zuko, Chiara, and Azula journeyed back to Noren's house in Hira'a.

"We'll just tell them we finished our business so we won't be staying overnight," said Zuko as he knocked on the door.

"What about the villagers?" Chiara asked him reminding him of their plan to visit the villagers they met with during their last trip there.

"We'll camp in the forest and return in the..."

"Prince Zuko," greeted Noren who appeared in the doorway. "Please come in."

"We just came to say we won't be staying here tonight," said Zuko sadly. "We...we wanted to say goodbye..."

Kiyi was suddenly wrapped around his waist. "You're back!" she squealed.

"Kiyi, it's good to see you again," he said as she was detaching herself and then hugging Chiara.

She took their hands. "Come eat dinner with us!" she said pulling them both inside.

Zuko was hesitant. "I don't know if..."

"No, please join us," invited Noren smirking at Kiyi's attachment to the royal couple.

Azula reluctantly followed them inside.

When Noriko saw them she bowed. "Prince, princesses," she greeted them before she began busily setting more places at the table.

"We were getting worried," said Noren as they all knelt down. "It was getting so late, we weren't sure if you were coming back."

"Did you finish the business you came here for?" Noriko asked them.

"Um...yeah...," said Zuko. "We...uh...finished most of it."

He and Azula were unable to eat as they stared at Noriko. Noren was eyeing them as he ate his meal.

"You haven't touched your food," said Noriko feeling worried that they were displeased with her cooking. "Is something wrong?"

"Do you do this every night?" asked Zuko.

"What? Eat dinner?" she asked. "Doesn't everybody eat dinner every night?"

"No. I meant eat dinner together," he clarified. "Like this.

"Yes, of course," she said. "That's why we're eating so late. I insisted we wait until Noren came home."

"I appreciate that, dear," smiled Noren. "Rehearsal ran over."

"We would like for you and Princess Chiara to take our room tonight," said Noriko. "And Princess Azula may have Kiyi's..."

"We...we won't be staying here," said Zuko looking down. "We found what we were looking for." He met Noriko's eyes and tried to imagine his mother's face. "Tell me, Noriko, are you happy?"

She was puzzled by his question. "What an odd thing to ask."

"Just answer me. Please."

"Yes, of course," she smiled. "I'm where I belong."

Azula continued staring at her, but Zuko gently smiled before standing up and helping Chiara to her feet.

"We've bothered you folks enough," said the prince. "We should be going."

"No. Stop," said Noren. He turned to his wife. "Noriko, I knew this moment would come sooner or later."

"What's going on?" she asked looking at him curiously.

"Go ahead, Prince Zuko," he said. "Do what you came here to do. Tell her you haven't forgotten who you are."

Chiara's grip tightened on Zuko's hand as they realized Noren knew. He gave Noren an understanding nod before turning to face Noriko.