Chapter 8: The Northern Water Tribe

There were very few merchants ships that visited the Northern Water Tribe, but Iroh was able to find one that was willing to take them as passengers. As they sailed north, Chiara stood on the deck amazed at how blue the water looked as the giant icebergs gleamed around them. When they approached the land of the Northern Tribe, both she and Iroh were stunned by the large ice fortress that rose above the horizon beyond the ice wall that protected it. For as high as the wall grew as they sailed towards it, both Iroh and Chiara could not help noticing that it still was not as massive as the wall surrounding Ba Sing Se. They were not far from Agna Qel'a when Water Tribe barges surrounded their ship, and once the merchant ship was identified, cargo was unloaded onto the Tribe's boats. Iroh and Chiara also stepped aboard one of the smaller boats with the merchant with whom they were traveling. Waterbenders created a tunnel in the wall of ice through which their barge sailed, and once inside, other waterbenders dropped another wall as they raised the water to allow them to enter the canals. Both of them were in awe as they sailed through the canal taking in the breathtaking design of the city with its gleaming ice bridges and flowing water. Chiara had gotten used to the different dress and styles of the Earth Kingdom, but the Water Tribe styles were completely new to her. And though she did not remember her own village very well, their location in the northern Earth Kingdom did not require the heavy winter clothing that was necessary so far north. For their own attire they continued wearing the colors of the Earth Kingdom. Iroh had no intention of hiding their identities, but he at least wanted a chance to speak to the chief, and he did not want to be immediately judged by appearance. Even in their neutral colors, however, they stuck out among the blue of the tribe.

After docking, they stepped off the barge and were eventually led to the palace as Iroh had asked to speak to the tribal chief.

"Look at all the waterfalls," said Chiara pointing at them as they surrounded the palace. "They're so beautiful."

Iroh softly chuckled at her excitement, but he was equally impressed by the beauty. Crossing over the ice bridge they walked between two ice totems towering over them. As they climbed the steps they marveled at the ice pagoda palace crowned with the moon and water symbol of the Water Tribe. Two warriors stood guard at the entrance at the top of the staircase.

"What is your purpose here?" asked one of the warriors.

"I wish to have an audience with Chief Arnook," said Iroh pleasantly.

"And your business with him, foreigner?"

"I have a request to make of him."

The warrior eyed him suspiciously. "Who may I tell him is making the request?"

"I am General Iroh of the Fire Nation," he said, again in an amiable voice.

Chiara had not expected him to be so blunt about his identity so soon.

Upon hearing his name the guard had immediately stepped back, and with a simple, but quick gesture, several more warriors suddenly appeared and surrounded both of them holding them at spearpoint. Again, to Iroh's surprise, Chiara stood protectively in front of him between him and one of the spears just as she did in Omashu.

"Please don't attack him," she said.

He placed his hands on her shoulders, but she refused to move. The warriors, however, paid no regard to her, seeing her as non-threatening, but they did not remove their piercing blue eyes from Iroh.

"And what request could the Dragon of the West be making of the Northern Water Tribe?" asked the entrance guard deeply.

"It is a simple one," said Iroh. "One I would prefer to discuss with Chief Arnook. But I can assure you it is merely personal and unrelated to the war."