Chapter 24: Life with Team Avatar

The throbbing in Chiara's head was the first thing she felt as her senses started returning. A gentle wind was blowing around her, and she took comfort in the soothing sensation of sailing over a calm sea.

"Prince Zuko," she spoke softly, the familiar feeling of being on the deck of her prince's ship drew his name from her lips.

She started to move her hand to her head, but a jolt of terror shot through her when she realized her wrists were bound. She was not home on the deck of the Fire Prince's ship, but at sea with the rapacious pirates. She forced herself to remain calm and listen to her surroundings. She might not be on her ship, but she was still at home on the sea, and she would be ready to call it to her aid...or at least, she would if she could sense it around her...

"She's waking up," said Katara. The waterbender's fingers were wrapped around the cap of her water skin ready to pull it off if needed. She could not rid her mind of Zuko racing towards them, hands full of fire and yelling murderous threats, and despite their past amiable encounters with Chiara, she did not want to take any chances with a girl she just saw spit fire and who might feel cornered.

Chiara recognized the voice, and venturing to open her eyes, she saw Katara kneeling next to her. She breathed a sigh of relief upon seeing the curious and concerned blue eyes of the Water Tribe girl rather than the dark, gluttonous eyes of a pirate.

"Chiara?" said Katara in a tender voice, though she was clearly tense as her hands still clutched her water skin. "How are you feeling?"

"My head hurts," she responded softly while reaching up to rub the lump above her temple. "Is it okay if I sit up?" she asked suspecting the waterbender was worried she might attack her.

Katara relaxed. "Oh...of course."

She moved to help Chiara who had slowly rolled onto her elbow and sat up.

Looking around her, Chiara saw nothing but sky. "Am...am I on Appa?"

"Yes," answered Katara.

"Hey, Chiara," said Aang cheerfully. "We rescued you from the pirates."

She looked towards Appa's head to see the Avatar smiling at her with bright gray eyes.

"Thank you so much," she said filled with gratitude and sure she could never repay them for delivering her from a possible fate worse than death.

"How did you end up with them?" asked Sokka.

Her eyes turned towards the Water Tribe boy sitting on the other side of the saddle with his arms crossed.

"They grabbed me at the port."

"Why would they do that?" asked Aang innocently.

"At first they were going to ransom me, but then the captain spoke of the 'highest bidder.'" She shuddered.

Katara looked appalled. "Ew," she said repulsed by the idea. "How disgusting!"

Chiara nodded. "How is it that you rescued me?"

"We heard yelling," said Sokka. "When we checked it out we saw you trying to fight them."

She looked down. "Thank you for getting me out of there." There was a sick feeling in her stomach at what could have been had they not responded.

"No problem. It's sort of what we do."

"You're Sokka, right?" she asked.

"You remember," he said.

Her eyes moved to his sister. "And you're Lady Katara."

Katara giggled at her address. "I like that."