Chapter 41: Return to the Fire Nation

With his wrists shackled and chained against his  chest, Iroh was led into a cell in the prison of a Fire Nation ship.  After his guard stepped out, another guard led Chiara into the same  cell.

"Since you betrayed your own nation for this  filth, you can stay together," he said. He pushed Chiara against the  wall with his hand on her throat. "Is the Daughter of the Dragon of the  West going to spit fire at me?" he laughed.

Suddenly,  Iroh rammed into the guard with his shoulder forcing him away from  Chiara and into the bars. The other soldier tried to enter the cell, but  Iroh kicked the door shut before again ramming the guard inside into  the wall this time. The other soldier entered, but Chiara stood in front of him raising her shackled hands to prevent him from getting to Iroh.  The soldier grabbed hold of her, spun her around, and put a knife to her  throat.

"I will kill her now," he threatened deeply pressing the knife into her skin.

Iroh stopped and turned towards them. The soldier restraining Chiara could nearly feel the glowing fire in the retired general's eyes burning into his own. His grip on the girl grew tighter as he used her as a shield,  but before Iroh could retaliate, the guard behind him hit him in the  back causing him to fall to his knees. As soon as Chiara was released,  she immediately knelt down by Iroh catching part of the fire whip the  other guard brought down to lash him. Iroh felt angry that the guard struck her too, and he went to stand up to attack the guard again.

"Let's just leave them here to rot," said the soldier to the other guard as he quickly exited the cell before Iroh could get to his feet.

The guard followed him, and they locked the door and left the brig while Chiara helped Iroh to the cot.

"You should not have defended me," he said.

"They were too cruel to you."

He slowly sat down feeling every ache in his joints and bones. It had been a long time since he had been involved in such an intense battle, and the first against earthbenders and a firebender at the same time. In his youth he might have boasted about such a battle despite  losing, but now he would give anything to be quietly making tea in his  shop.

"You can heal my wounds, but you will not be able to heal your own," he said.

"Does it even matter now?" she asked despondently.

She sat next to him and looked over his injuries, but she had no water she could use to heal them.

"I'm sorry," she said, her voice soft.

"It's not you who should be sorry." He felt as though he lost another son. "I-I thought he had changed."

Zuko had left her to fight his sister and the Dai Li. Her heart felt broken as she looked down at the ring on her finger. His vows to her meant nothing to him. He had made his choice, and she was not it. But then, she knew deep down that he could never love her the way he loved his  honor or his Nation. She reminded herself that she knew going in she would not be enough...but he had seemed so different since they moved to the new apartment. She knew she could never make him forget the Fire  Nation, but she hoped to at least make him content enough to live  happily without it...but she failed.

The pain brought tears to her eyes, but it was a wound she was sure she would not have to live with for long since she suspected she was going to be executed upon her return to Capital City. He would soon be free of her,  but she refused to go to her death holding any animosity or anger  towards him. After all, she knew...and it was her decision to marry him knowing she would not be first. He would always be her heart even though she was not his, and she hoped he would finally find the happiness and peace he had desired for so long.