Chapter 77: Bittersweet Memories

Hours after they had left, Sokka, Suki, and Izin returned from the market with containers of food.

"We're going to eat like kings tonight," said Sokka.

Aang abandoned his training mid-kata to run over to them, eyes wide at the assortment of edibles. When Zuko saw the ash bananas he went to turn to Chiara but realized she was missing.

"Where's Chiara?" he asked.

"She disappeared a while ago," said Toph.

Izin immediately stood up.

"Where'd she go?" asked Zuko feeling worried.

"Relax, Sparky, she just went inside," Toph answered sensing his increased heart rate.

Zuko and Izin went inside the house to look for her finally finding her in the kitchen where she was cleaning.

"Chiara," said Zuko, "I've been looking for you."

"Do you need something?" she asked pausing her scrubbing of the counter.

"Why are you doing this?"

"This place desperately needs to be cleaned. I thought I'd start with the kitchen first."

"You shouldn't be doing this..."

She playfully glared at him.

"Okay," he said knowing that look. "Then you shouldn't be doing this alone. Why don't you ask the others to help you?"

"Two of them are the Avatar's teachers and one is a Kyoshi Warrior," she said. "I'm not going to have them spend their day cleaning."

"But it's too much work for you to do alone..."

"Prince Zuko, I always helped the servants at the General's home and here too. I'm not above making this a home for all of us."

The idea of her making a home for them made his heart melt and he was unable to argue with her.

"You have a responsibility to train Aang," she continued, "and you're out there in the heat diligently doing so. Please let me try and make this place a home again."

He sighed knowing he lost the battle. "Fine, but you need to eat." He took her hand and started pulling her towards the door. "They brought back a lot of food."

Outside, the others were enjoying fruit and cured meats.

When Sokka saw them coming back out to the patio, he held up a komodo chicken. "I got this for dinner tonight," he said.

"I wish Tai were here," Chiara said to Zuko.

"According to Uncle, you're the next best thing."

--------------------

After lunch, Chiara stood up to return to the kitchen.

"Why don't you train with us?" Zuko asked her making one last attempt at keeping her from working in the house.

"There's other work to be done. And I want to start roasting the komodo chicken for dinner."

"You can't argue with that," said Sokka lounging back contentedly, still picking at some food despite being sated.

Zuko glared at him. "You're not doing anything. Why don't you cook it?"

"As the great hunter, I provided the meal," he said proudly.

"Buying it from the market isn't being a great hunter," said Suki.

Izin stood up. "I'll help her, Prince Zuko."