Chapter 89: Return of the Dragon

"It's General Iroh, sir," said Kaito.

Zuko and Chiara looked excitedly at one another before they both jumped up and raced through the palace like children with Kaito, Nai, and Izin trying to keep up. Flying out the front doors into the courtyard, they saw Iroh and his security team climbing off their eel hounds. His worn, exhausted appearance immediately brightened up when he spotted them coming towards him, and he opened his arms to catch them both just as he had when they were younger and they greeted him after he returned from deployment or from his other long-term duties.

"I am happy to see you too," he laughed hugging them tightly. "Ba Sing Se was a success."

"Of course it was, Uncle," said Zuko knowing Iroh would not have failed to free the Earth Kingdom city.

He released them and scanned the courtyard. "It appears you've been successful as well in recapturing the Capital."

"Yes. And Kaito and the Order of the White Lotus have done a great job taking care of security here."

"And what of Azula?" he asked. Despite their history with her, he was still concerned about his niece's fate.

"I challenged her to an Agni Kai."

"She struck Prince Zuko with lightning," said Chiara.

"But you redirected it of course," he said, looking at Zuko.

"As best I could, but she wasn't aiming for me."

Iroh's eyes moved to Chiara. Though she was standing before him, he was clearly worried as he remembered the last time he saw the flash of Azula's lightning in the prison and was told of Chiara's death.

"She aimed it at Katara," said Zuko knowing what he was thinking.

"Katara? Is she...?"

"She's fine."

"Your brave nephew protected her," said Chiara.

"Very cunning of Azula to attack a bystander...and very dishonorable." He placed his hand on Zuko's shoulder. "And very courageous of you to protect her, Nephew." He looked at Chiara. "You took care of him, I see."

She shook her head. "If it wasn't for Lady Katara..." Her eyes watered at the possibility.

"Chiara went after Azula," said Zuko. "And she redirected lightning."

"Did you?" he said, amazed at her ability.

She nodded.

"Incredible. You are okay though?"

"Yes."

"And the baby too?"

"He's okay."

"How did you manage to subdue Azula?"

"I froze her in ice and restrained her," she answered. "And then I used water to try to relax her mind."

His eyes grew wide at the potential of what her waterbending could do. "Did it help her?"

"She seemed docile after that."

Despite knowing Chiara's nature, he still found it astonishing that she chose mercy after Azula's cruel actions and intentions towards her, and it brought a loving smile to his face. He took her in his arms.

"You were always special, Chiara. Your ability to forgive and to sympathize with others is a gift that's even rarer than your ability to heal."

"I would like to continue treating her," she said.

"Of course. Hopefully it will benefit her and continue to bring peace to her mind." He released her. "Where is she now?"

"We sent her to Heiwa Island," answered Zuko.