Chapter 104: When They Come, They Come at What You Love

Zuko felt like it was his and Azula's Agni Kai all over again—the deep, burning pain in his heart and the inability to protect Chiara from his sister's incoming assault. The blinding explosion of the bolt as it crashed into its target prevented him from advancing further. He was nearly tackled by the airborne body of one of the guerrillas that had been thrown back by the blast. Unshielding his eyes, he saw other bodies littering the ground, some unconscious, many concussed, and none were Chiara. His eyes searched anxiously for her. Through the settling cloud of dust, Zuko finally spotted his wife as she disabled her last standing opponent. The lightning had landed in the center of a small group of insurgents who had been preparing to join their comrades in attacking her. Zuko turned to see his sister striking the rebel next to her sending him to his knees.

The man's wide eyes were staring up at her. "P-princess, I-I don't understand," he stammered. "I thought you would want your father back as Fire Lord."

"Again, what you thought was clearly wrong." She grabbed his shirt and scowled at him. "Whatever Ozai was, he was not a father." A sharp flame extended from her fingertip, and she slashed the mask from his face. Her eyes narrowed. "Ukano," she said deeply. "Let me guess...upset at the loss of Omashu?"

"The Fire Nation won't stand for this," he dared to say, though his eyes still showed fear.

"You and your rebels are not the Fire Nation," she sneered.

"RETR...!!"

She stuffed his mask into his mouth before he could call for his men to withdraw.

"You are causing unnecessary division in our country," she scolded him deeply. "You may think Fire Lord Iroh is weak, but he will not tolerate this insurrection, especially when you attack his family." She leaned close to him, her eyes boring into his. "And I won't tolerate it either," she threatened.

Ukano was near trembling, and before he knew what was happening, Azula had him face down in the dirt and was binding his hands with his own red sash. After their leader was restrained, Azula sent a few well-aimed blue missiles towards the rebels who were attempting to run off. As the battle wound down, the guards began restraining the insurgents who were not badly injured, and many who managed to run away did not get far when they encountered the squadron of cavalry that had just arrived.

Zuko, Chiara's hand in his as he pulled her along, ran up to Azula.

"Are you okay?" Chiara asked her.

"Of course," she smirked at them. "Why wouldn't I be?"

Zuko was gaping at her, still shocked that she did not betray them.

"What's wrong, Brother? You didn't trust my aim?"

His lip curled in a sheepish expression. "I...I actually did trust your aim."

She giggled.

"Thank you, Azula," he said softly, relieved she had not targeted his wife and had actually helped her.

She rolled her eyes. "You're insufferable enough as it is, Zuzu," she said in her best condescending tone. "I certainly wouldn't want to deal with you if something happened to Chiara..."

"Princess!" called Nai anxiously, running towards them. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," said Chiara.

"Prince Zuko..." Kaito was hurrying over. "Is everyone all right?"

"Yes, Kaito."

"The flare was seen from the city gate, and they sent the cavalry," he said. "They're busy collecting the insurgents, and the Fire Lord has been informed of the attack."