Chapter 49: House Arrest

Zuko had been kept imprisoned in his own room in the palace after being moved from the Prison Tower. He was given no information, and no one would answer his questions whenever he asked about Iroh or Chiara. A few days later, escorted by two guards, he was brought to the throne room.

Ozai glared darkly at his son as he approached. The flames that usually hid all but the Fire Lord's silhouette were not burning, but Zuko thought that Ozai's piercing glare burned hotter than any fire. Azula, sitting at her father's right, merely smirked maliciously.

"I have been informed that my traitor son has been brainwashed by a Water Tribe spy," said Ozai in a deep voice.

Zuko felt enraged. "That's not true!"

"But if it is true, Father, then being a traitor might not be his fault," said Azula cunningly. "I think Uncle might have made an alliance with the Water Tribe and used her to seduce Zuko in order to usurp the throne."

"That's ridiculous," said Zuko appalled by her accusation. "She's lived here most of her life."

"And you've always had a soft spot for her," she hissed.

"She was my best friend, Azula. That doesn't make her a spy. She loves the Fire Nation."

Her eyes narrowed. "So you marry the little tramp?"

"This is a problem that can be eliminated," boomed the Fire Lord's voice interrupting his bickering children.

"No!" yelled Zuko taking a step forward. He shrugged off the hand one of the guards placed on his shoulder. "Don't hurt her. She's innocent. I was banished from home, so I made a new home..."

"A banishment that you chose after breaking Iroh out of prison!" shouted Ozai angrily not knowing that Zuko and Chiara had been married since Ba Sing Se.

"He didn't deserve to be executed," said Zuko. "He's not a traitor, and he wasn't trying to take the throne. We were living peacefully in the Earth Kingdom, and I-I just wanted a family."

"And you take a low-life peasant of the Water Tribe?!" he yelled, his voice full of revulsion. "The royal blood is wasted on you."

"Just let her go. I'll do whatever you want..."

"Too late," said Ozai.

"Please don't hurt her," he begged.

"General Ikong recommended public execution..."

"You can't," he pleaded, shaking his head.

"I agree," said Ozai.

Zuko breathed a little sigh of relief. He would never give up trying to break her out of any prison his father sentenced her to, and he instantly began making escape plans in his head.

"This was a private affair and it was dealt with privately," continued the Fire Lord.

The prince's heart stopped. "What do you mean 'was'?" he asked worriedly.

"I mean it's been handled."

"No." He tried to take another step forward. This time both guards pulled him back. "Execute me instead..."

"There's no point in that now, Zuzu," smirked Azula. "You're free of that disgrace."

He was shaking his head not believing her words. "No..."

"I'm sure you remember the words 'until death'," she said.

There was a pain in his chest that was throbbing with every heartbeat.

"The little Water whore's already been executed."

He did not want to believe her. "You're lying," he growled.