Chapter 68: The Volcano Erupts

Zuko woke up the next morning to tapping on the door. As his mind cleared itself of sleep and he became aware of where he was, his initial disappointment of finding himself in a prison cell was eclipsed by the contentment he felt having Chiara sleeping in his arms.

"Uh...Zuko...buddy...," started Sokka in a gentle voice as he opened the door. "...I'm not...uh...interrupting anything, am I? 'Cause your Fire Nation treason laws don't apply to me, you know."

Zuko just sighed.

"What is he talking about?" asked Chiara tiredly, her eyes still closed,

"Nothing," said Zuko. "You're interrupting my sleep, Water Tribe," he called out to Sokka.

"Oh, okay," he said. "But it's an hour before shift change. I'll just wait out in the hall 'til you're done with...you know...sleeping."

The door shut and Chiara's eyes opened wide. "Wait...," she started as she propped herself on her elbow. "...does he think we're..."

"Yes," said Zuko not ready to open his eyes.

"Again?"

"Yes." He gently pulled her back into his arms.

"Seriously, in a prison cell?"

"I tried to tell him that, but it's Sokka, so...you know."

She giggled as she rested against him relishing the warmth of his body against hers making her feel like she was basking in the sunlight. They lay there quietly for a while longer before Zuko finally forced himself to get up.

Sokka was waiting outside in the hall when he left the cell.

"So...how'd you...sleep?" he asked Zuko as they walked down the corridor.

Zuko pinched the bridge of his nose. The sun had not risen yet, and he felt it was much too early to deal with Sokka's innuendos.

"I slept fine," he answered simply. "And you don't have to assume you're walking in on anything every time you enter."

"Hey, you've been apart for almost a month. I think everyone expects you two to..."

"Don't say it."

"...do the flaming tango."

Zuko groaned as he shook his head at Sokka's choice of words.

"What about a flaming mango?" asked Dako who had been waiting for them at the end of the hall.

"No," said Sokka. "The fl..."

"Nothing," interrupted Zuko.

"A flaming mango sounds pretty good," said Dako.

"Is that a thing?" asked Zomi.

"Sure. Haven't you ever had deep-fried mango? Isn't that what it's called? A flaming mango?"

"Maybe," said Sokka, "but that's not what I was talking abou..."

"Can we not talk about any of this?" said Zuko feeling frustrated.

Sokka turned to him. "Sounds like you're going to be sleeping in the barracks tonight with that attitude. Maybe you wouldn't be so grumpy if you had a little in-prison romance..."

"Nai!" said Zuko a little more loudly than he intended, but extremely relieved to see her walking up to them.

She raised her eyebrows at his over-excited greeting. "Ready for breakfast, Z?"

"Yes, definitely."

"We need to talk before shift change," said Dako.

"Yes. After breakfast," said Zuko as he started walking away. "As long as it's not about anything flaming," he muttered under his breath.