Chapter 92: A New Reign

When the day of Iroh's coronation finally arrived the royal palace was buzzing with activity. It was hours before the sun would rise, and the only light in the palace was provided by lamps and braziers. Amiku had arrived to take Chiara to the spa where she would be prepared for the occasion, while Zuko would be assisted by servants of his own. After they were dressed in royal clothing, the couple met at the palace entrance. Though they preferred their comfortable commoner clothing or even their casual royal clothing, their eyes lit up upon seeing each other. Zuko was breathless when he saw his wife in the deep red gown, and his heart stirred at her elegant beauty. Part of her hair had been pulled up into a topknot bun allowing the rest of her long, dark curls to flow around her, and the silver of her mother's diadem gleamed upon her forehead disappearing into her onyx-colored hair. As he approached her, he was drawn into the sea that swirled in her eyes submersing himself in their depths. Chiara was no less thrilled to see her husband standing tall and majestic in his dark red royal regalia, his hair in a neat topknot on his head, and his golden eyes sending fiery rays straight into her heart. In his left hand he carried Roku's headpiece. He bowed deeply.

"My Lady," he said making her own heart stir.

He stood erect and offered her his right arm which she took. He escorted her out of the palace and into the courtyard where they climbed into a carriage where Iroh had been waiting for them with Ezo and another Imperial Firebender on each side of him.

"Good morning, Daughter, Nephew. You look like quite the royal couple," he said pleasantly as they were seating themselves. "I see you have the headpiece as I requested."

"Yes, Uncle."

Other carriages were being filled by the very tired guests who were not used to such an early morning event. Even Sokka was too tired to complain that they were not served breakfast first.

The door of the royal carriage opened and a tired-looking Aang climbed inside and sat next to Zuko.

"Wow, you guys do things really early," he said. "I know firebenders rise with the sun and all, but the sun isn't even up yet."

Zuko and Chiara softly giggled, and even Iroh chuckled.

"Today we must be ready to greet the sun as it rises," said Iroh.

"You look very nice, Aang," Chiara complimented him as he wore the bright yellow Air Nomad robes Iroh had made for him.

"Thanks, Chiara." He looked up at the soon-to-be Fire Lord. "And thanks for these new robes. I still can't believe you did this for me."

"You're quite welcome," said Iroh. "I must say, that is a fascinating necklace. I don't believe I've ever seen you wear it before."

"Yeah." He lowered his eyes looking sad. "I found it in a market in the northern Earth Kingdom when we were on our way to the North Pole."

"Really?" said Iroh. "How interesting." In all his travels, Iroh had never seen any Air Nomad relics in the marketplaces. He had only ever seen such items in the palace's secret collection—a collection he intended to go through in order to return them to the Nations from whom they were taken. He was surprised to learn that after a hundred years there were relics pillaged from the air temples still floating around the markets.

Aang gently ran his fingers over the large wooden disk which bore three swirling insignia of the Air Nomads. "It was actually a trap by Admiral Zhao," he said softly.

Everyone's eyes were immediately on him.

"Zhao?" asked Zuko. "You got caught by Zhao a second time?"

Iroh raised an eyebrow. "Second time?" he asked.