Chapter 101: Hira'a's Hurrahs

The next morning the twilight glow was just beginning to pierce the blackness on the horizon when Zuko's eyes opened. The room was still dark and nothing around him was visible, but he could feel Chiara's warm body curled up against his side. Images of finding his mother felt like a dream. He knew he was not camping outside, and he did not feel the motion of a ship, and he was sure he was not on a more comfortable palace mattress. He grinned knowing it was not a dream. He continued replaying everything from the previous day in his mind until objects in the room became more visible.

After sitting up, he tenderly ran his hand over Chiara's long braid careful not to wake her. He was feeling restless, and he decided to go outside and take in the early morning air. He quietly left the room and stealthily started towards the door until he spotted his mother kneeling at the table with a pot of tea.

"Oh, Mom..." He still felt a childlike giddiness when he addressed her. "...I didn't think you'd be up so early."

Ursa smiled. "I'm not usually. I was a little too excited to sleep much last night." She was ecstatic to be reunited with her children, but years of forgotten memories suddenly coming to life in her mind also kept her thoughts preoccupied.

He knelt down next to her. "Like if you fell asleep, you'd wake up and it was just a dream?"

She gently laughed. "Exactly." She poured tea into a cup and set it before him. "Is Chiara still asleep?"

"Yes. But she won't sleep long. She usually wakes up when I do. We meditate together."

"Aww," she said, her smile bright. "That's so sweet. I'm so happy for you, Zuko. I'm so happy you were able to marry someone you love." Her eyes drifted to the other side of the room where Noren still lay asleep. "And someone who loves you," she added softly.

They continued talking over tea. He answered her questions and filled her in on the details of their adventures until Azula joined them at the table.

"Tea, Azula?" Ursa asked her.

She silently nodded as she knelt down.

"Did you sleep okay?"

Azula's first instinct was to complain about her less than regal accommodations, but she bit back her protest.

Ursa caught her hesitation and gave her a kind smile. "I know it isn't what you're used to, sweetheart."

Zuko tensed up expecting a sharp remark from Azula, but his reaction made him wonder if that was how his uncle felt around him all those years during his banishment when he snapped at everyone.

The princess shrugged. "I was still able to sleep."

He relaxed, impressed that she did not fuss.

"How are you feeling?" her mother asked her.

Azula was not sure how she felt, much less how to describe it. "My head feels...off."

"Do you want me to wake Chiara?" Zuko offered. "She might be able to..."

She was shaking her head. "Not that kind of off," she said, but she could not help the warm feeling inside her hearing her brother offer to wake his wife for her. "Everything is just...overwhelming."

"Like it's not real," said Zuko softly.

Azula nodded.

Ursa placed a cup in front of her daughter. "It is real," she said taking one of their hands in each of hers. "And I am so happy to have my children back in my life."

--------------------

The three of them had been talking and catching up for a while when Noren approached the table.