Chapter 51: Is This the Dream?

Zuko was standing in the hallway outside Iroh's former prison cell wondering what to do next. He was about to turn to go back to the tunnels when a guard walked up to him with his head bowed. Zuko tensed up ready to fight when the man leaned towards him.

"Check the hidden passage at the end of the lowest West Corridor," he whispered to the prince before quickly hurrying away down the hall.

Zuko was puzzled, but he wondered if Iroh might be waiting for him there, so he started heading towards the lower level. Suddenly he stopped as he considered it might be a trap. He took a deep breath and decided to take the chance. Descending to the lower floor, he carefully walked down the West Corridor until he reached the end coming to a solid stone wall. He glanced around in the cells nearby, but they were empty.

"Hidden passage at the end of the corridor," he repeated softly to himself.

He ran his hand over the wall, and remembering Ren inside the tunnels in the palace, he pushed on it. He was hoping the wall would move, but it still came as a surprise to him when it did, and he continued pushing it until it revealed another hallway. There were no windows to give light to this part of the prison which was deep inside the mountain, and the hall was only lit by a few torches, so he drew his sword and slowly entered. Holding a flame in his left hand, he cautiously walked down the dim passageway. There were prison cells on each side, but they all appeared empty as he shone the light towards each one. When he reached the end without finding his uncle, he suspected it might definitely be a trap, but he was not sure he could be any more alert than he already was. He turned to leave, feeling frustrated by the delay in his plans. Before he took another step, he hesitated when something caught his eye in the last cell. It appeared to be a small figure lying on the floor. His heart stopped.

"Chiara?" he said.

He sheathed his sword before quickly opening the cell door. In the light he was holding, he could see scorch marks on her back through her torn and singed clothes. Holding his breath he approached her; he could feel his heart pounding in his chest and ears. When he knelt down on the floor, he saw her ring shining on her finger. He leaned over her, his eyes following her long braid as it flowed over her shoulder and coiled on the floor near her chest. He tenderly moved some loose strands of hair from her face.

"Chiara?" he said softly, suspecting he might be dreaming.

Her skin was cold and bruised and covered in dried blood. He touched her neck searching for a pulse. He felt nothing but a broken feeling in his heart. He wondered how the universe could be so cruel that she would remain dead even in his dreams.

Allowing his flame to dissipate, he scooped her up in his arms and held her to his chest. He let his tears fall down his cheeks and onto her hair. It could not possibly be a dream—not when reality was so much more painful. He did not want to move. He wanted to stay there until he died holding her in his arms.

"I am so done with you," Azula hissed at her.

Chiara closed her eyes when Azula moved her arms in an arc generating lightning. The fire princess took aim sending the streak of blinding light across the room. It struck the wall sending pieces of stone flying in all directions.

"You know what?" she said. "And this is just between us girls...I don't think I'm ready to end this family relationship." She stepped up to her sister-in-law and leaned in close. "I am going to have much more fun breaking you." As she stood up straight she pulled off Chiara's diadem before turning to the guards. "Take her to my private cell below. And as far as everyone knows, she's dead." She narrowed her eyes. "And if it leaks out otherwise, I will find the one responsible and that person will be dead." Azula turned back to her prisoner and everything went black.