Chapter 55: Firebending Training, Take Two

It was another nightmare that woke Chiara before the sun had risen. She slowly sat up, and in the dim light she could see Zuko who, to her relief, was still asleep next to her. She took a deep breath reminding herself that she was not dreaming—she was in the Western Air Temple, Zuko was safely beside her, and Iroh was at least free from the prison. Lying back down she quietly listened to Zuko's soft, steady breathing and waited until the sun started brightening their room. When it was light enough, she carefully got up, and seeing that Zuko was still sound asleep, she quietly gathered a few items and left the room leaving him to his rest knowing he needed it. Walking out into the courtyard, she placed the bag down near the fire pit where they ate their meals before strolling through the trees gathering fruit for the others for their breakfast.

When she returned to the courtyard, she saw Aang coming out of the temple.

"Greetings, Avatar Aang," she greeted him as she bowed with an armful of fruit.

"Flamio, Hotwoman," he said returning the bow. She could not help a soft giggle at his greeting. "How are you feeling?" he asked her.

"Much better thanks to Lady Katara and Prince Zuko. Are you hungry? I picked fruit for everyone." She threw a moon peach up in the air for Momo who flew up and caught it. He landed on Aang's shoulder before he began eating it.

"Thanks," said Aang taking one she held out to him. "Where's Zuko? We're supposed to start my firebending lessons today." There was a slight tone of uneasiness in his voice.

"He's getting some much needed sleep," she answered as she knelt down.

"Isn't he usually up with the sun?" asked Aang.

She was placing the fruit down in a pile not far from the extinguished campfire. "Usually, but I know a little waterbending technique that helps him sleep longer if he needs it."

Aang was laughing. "I think it's great you're a waterbender. We really had no idea."

"I'm sorry I had to hide it from you," she said as she was pulling a few things out of her bag and setting them near the fruit pile.

"I understand. Zuko said it would've been dangerous for you."

"I was more worried about the General," she said. "He was nearly executed because of it."

"Zuko said that's when he broke you out of prison. I guess he really is a good guy."

"My prince is very honorable." She looked at him. "I'm surprised to see you up so early this morning."

"I was just going to feed Appa."

Her eyes lit up. "I love Appa."

"Would you like to help me feed him?"

"I would love to," she said quickly standing up.

Leaving her work, she followed Aang. She helped him gather hay which they carried to Appa who perked up knowing he was about to eat.

"He's so beautiful," she said when she saw him.

Aang was laughing at her excitement. They laid the hay before him, and as he ate, Chiara enjoyed running her fingers through his thick fur.

"You are so beautiful," she said as she was petting him. "I've missed your soft fur."

"I can't believe how different Zuko is," said Aang who was leaning against Appa. "He's really changed."

"He had to learn that true honor comes from making the right choices. There's no honor in hurting the innocent. I think the hardest part was accepting that Ozai is not a good person...and especially not a good father," she added in an audible undertone.