Chapter 95: Peace with the Northern Water Tribe

It had been over a month since Iroh was crowned Fire Lord. The Gaang was now split up since their obligations took them to different parts of the world, but it was not before promising to meet together as often as their duties permitted them. Zuko found contentment in his family life with Chiara and Iroh, but he did find the palace empty with the rest of the Gaang gone. And though his and Chiara's responsibilities kept them busy, it was during their meals and little bit of free time that the absence of their friends' presence was most noticeable.

One afternoon Zuko and Chiara approached Iroh's office before heading off to visit Azula.

Shin bowed deeply. "Prince Zuko, Princess Chiara, the Fire Lord is expecting you," he said before opening the door.

Chiara glanced up at Zuko who just shrugged at the news. Upon entering Iroh's office, they bowed reverently to the Fire Lord.

Jee, seeing the couple, stood up and bowed to them. "Prince Zuko, Princess Chiara."

"Captain Jee," they responded.

The captain turned to Iroh and bowed. "Fire Lord."

Iroh nodded and Jee left the office.

"You wanted to see us, Uncle?" asked Zuko.

"Yes. I have an important mission for you both," said Iroh motioning for them to sit across from him. "Captain Jee has agreed to take command of the royal sloop, and he will take you to the North Pole where you will meet with Chief Arnook and discuss terms of peace."

"Will they be expecting us?" asked Zuko not wanting to sail up to the Northern Water Tribe unannounced.

Iroh knew what he was thinking. "They are, Prince Zuko. And to assist in the peace talks, Master Pakku will travel with you."

"Isn't he helping to rebuild the Southern Water Tribe?" asked Chiara.

"He was, but he'll be returning to the North Pole for this mission as well as other business. We're expecting his arrival here this evening."

Zuko nodded.

"Also, I've been informed that there are Fire Nation prisoners from the Siege being held by the Tribe."

Zuko's and Chiara's eyes grew wide.

"They will be releasing them to you," said Iroh.

"Do you know how many?" he asked.

"I was not told." Iroh looked down. "But I'm sure it's only a fraction of those lost," he said somberly.

They continued their conversation discussing the negotiations.

--------------------

After Zuko and Chiara left Iroh's office, he turned to her. "You go with Nai. I'll catch up with you before you leave for Heiwa."

She bowed her head to him and left. Zuko went in search of Jee until he found him getting ready to leave for the docks to prepare the ship for their journey north.

"Captain Jee," he called.

Jee stopped and turned to the prince approaching him.

"Will you be okay with this mission, Captain?"

"Yes, Prince Zuko," he answered.

"I understand if it's too difficult for you to return to the North Pole," said Zuko sympathizing with Jee's traumatic experience. "If you want someone else to command the ship..."

"I wouldn't have accepted the command if I didn't think I could handle it, sir."

Zuko nodded.

"I don't blame the Water Tribe," said Jee. "I know we were the invaders. And for Zhao to...to kill a spirit...it's unnatural."