Chapter 64: Making Plans

Realizing the guard was not Sokka, Zuko and Chiara immediately stood up, Zuko taking a defensive stance standing protectively in front of his wife. He felt nervous at having been caught, as did Chiara. Even though Dako had been kind to her and offered her her freedom and even professed his loyalty, she still worried that he might turn Zuko over to the warden. At that moment, Zomi walked in.

"Dako, what's taking so...Prince Zuko," he said, shocked to see the young prince he also recognized by the scar. "Uh...Your Imperial Highness...," he corrected.

"Long live Prince Zuko and Princess Chiara," said Dako as he knelt down before them. "I'm honored to be on your side."

"As am I," said Zomi now also on his knee.

"Many of us don't see you as a traitor, but as the true leader of the Fire Nation," said Dako seeing that the couple was still apprehensive. "We will gladly serve under you and the Fire Princess."

Zuko was relieved to find that Tezam was right about allies, and he relaxed his stance. "Then I'm honored to stand by you," he said bowing to them.

"I'm Zomi, Your Imperial Highness..."

"There's no need for etiquette. I'm fine with Zuko. And you can stand."

Zomi nodded as they stood up. "This is Dako."

"You really did it, Prince Zuko," said Dako trying to keep his excitement toned down. "There were bets being placed on whether or not you'd actually break in here to rescue the Princess."

"Dako!" admonished Zomi.

"What...I won twenty gold coins," he said. He looked at Zuko. "Your odds were 99 to 1..."

Zuko's mouth opened, though he was not sure what to say.

"...uh...but they would've been a lot shorter if this was the Capital City Prison," he finished. "Nobody thought you could manage Boiling Rock. I bet on you though."

"I guess that's...good then?" said Zuko, still unsure of what to say.

Zomi shoved Dako aside. "Prince Zuko, you must watch out for a few of the guards," he warned. "Zedak is one of them."

"All I want to do is to get my wife out of here."

Dako's brow furrowed. "How did you even get here?"

"I had a war balloon, but I lost it on the way in."

Both guards were stunned, but awed, by his daring attempt to rescue Chiara.

"Getting you guys out'll be tricky, but not impossible," said Dako.

Chiara was excited at the thought of leaving the prison with Zuko and returning with him to the Gaang, but the delight she felt became weighed down by a sudden concern.

"What about the other prisoners?" she asked.

Zuko turned to her. "What?"

"There are so many here who need help," she said. "Especially the older ones."

"There's nothing we can do for them until after the war."

"But some were close to death. If anyone else gets injured or sick and they're left without a healer..."

"Chiara, I'm not going to leave you in prison."

"You've already helped everybody here, Princess," said Dako, "including me."

"And me," added Zomi. "My family will always be in your debt."

"You've been punished for a crime you never committed," said Dako. "It's time for you to leave."