Chapter 37: A New Life

When the monorail stopped at the station within the outer wall of the Ba Sing Se, they stood in the line to be assigned to their new living quarters. Being refugees of the lowest status, they were given an apartment in the Lower Ring. Once again they boarded the monorail and were taken inside the outer wall of the city. Both Iroh and Chiara stared at the inside of the wall as they sped across the Agrarian Zone towards the first inner wall that surrounded what would be their new home.

Leaving the monorail station, they took an ostrich horse-drawn cart to their neighborhood. It was midday when they finally arrived at their new apartment.

"What a dump," said Zuko dejectedly glancing around the small place.

"It's so much better than being outside every night," said Chiara. "And we have a kitchen too," she added excitedly.

"Lee and I will share a room," said Iroh pointing towards the two small bedrooms.

Zuko put his arm around Chiara's shoulders. "I believe my wife and I will share a room," he said with the intention of provoking his uncle.

Iroh glared at his nephew. "You are treading in dangerous waters, Lee," he threatened deeply.

Zuko smirked and Chiara started giggling at his threat.

"I'll put a mat in the living space if you want your own room," she said to Zuko. She knew the trip through the Earth Kingdom had been difficult for him, and she hoped to relieve some of his misery by offering him his own room.

"No," he said, his bitter tone returning. "We should be living in a palace."

"It's still better than a cave," she shrugged.

"I agree," said Iroh.

Zuko just groaned at their optimistic attitudes.

"I know just what we need," said Iroh cheerfully. "A shopping spree."

They left to visit the shops to buy food and new clothes with the money provided by Iroh's connections. After returning to the apartment and changing his clothes, Iroh decided to explore the city on his own. Chiara remained in the apartment and started on dinner while Zuko just lay despondently on a mat wondering if this was where his life would end.

"Do you want me to make you tea?"

He opened his eyes to see Chiara kneeling next to him.

"No."

"Are you hungry?"

"Not really." He stared listlessly up at the cracked ceiling.

She wished there was something she could do to bring some joy to his darkness.

"Pai Sho?" she asked. "We can break in the new game Father bought."

"Maybe later," he said before rolling over to face the dark wall.

She tenderly touched his arm before going back to the kitchen.

---------------------

It was not long before the scent from the kitchen drew Zuko out of his bed. He stood at the doorway staring at her as she was carefully placing freshly baked cookies on a plate.

"You win," he said walking up to her.

She smirked to herself.

Just as he reached for one she blocked him. "You know the price."

He put his head down feigning defeat. "I'll get the game."

He set the game up on the table, and she placed the plate next to it.