Chapter 33: Involuntary Exile in the Earth Kingdom

Iroh, Zuko, and Chiara continued running through the woods trying to get as far from the resort as possible. They finally dropped down on their knees by a small stream to catch their breath.

"I think we're safe here," said Iroh, panting.

Azula's words were echoing in Zuko's mind: He considers you a miserable failure for not finding the Avatar. His father thought he was a failure, and he sent his sister...his little sister to bring him back in chains or kill him—whichever was most convenient to her.

He pulled out his knife glancing at the blade. Made in Earth Kingdom. He turned it over. Never give up without a fight. He wondered if there was any hope in continuing to fight. He was no longer just the banished prince, but he was now in exile with no home to which he could return. Taking hold of his phoenix tail in his other hand, he sliced it off tossing it into the stream.

Iroh took the knife from him. He, too, could no longer call the Fire Nation home. But he would never regret his decision to defend the moon spirit in the Spirit Oasis. Some things are more important than the land of his birth. He cut off his topknot and dropped it into the water where it followed Zuko's downstream.

Chiara gathered her hair to one side. Her exile was joined to her family's. She had chosen to stay with them and she would share their suffering—they had no home and neither did she. She pulled out her knife.

"What are you doing?" Zuko asked her grabbing her wrist.

"Cutting my hair..."

"No!!" he shouted causing her and Iroh to jump.

He took the knife from her hand, startling her by his reaction.

"I'm just as much in exile," she said softly.

"You're not cutting your hair," he said.

"Zuko," started Iroh, "it might be best for..."

"No! She's not cutting it. I just lost everything!" he yelled. "I...I need something to remain normal."

Neither Iroh nor Chiara argued with him. She let go of her hair and slowly reached for her knife to put it away. She pulled off the diadem from around her head and placed it around her neck wearing it as she did before she traveled to the Northern Water Tribe with Iroh years earlier.

They stayed by the stream to rest for a short time before they would have to move on. Chiara reached up tenderly touching Zuko's temple as she studied the scratches Azula's perfectly manicured nails left above his right eye. She pulled out her vial.

"Close your eyes," she said.

"What if I don't?" he asked feeling defiant.

Her eyes fell down to the vial in her hand. "If what I'm about to do gets in your eyes, you may never forgive me."

Iroh softly chuckled at her explanation. Zuko sighed, but he complied and closed his eyes while she healed the wounds.

After quenching their thirst and taking a brief respite, they cautiously started down the road. Coming across a small farm, they stealthily "acquired" Earth Kingdom clothes that had been hanging out to dry. Chiara was not happy about pillaging an innocent family's attire, so she left behind a few coins from her earnings.

"What are you doing?" Zuko whispered to her.

"I'm leaving them something in exchange," she said dropping the coins in the pocket of one of the garments still hanging on the clothesline.

"But we'll need that money," he said.

"I'm not taking someone's clothes without compensating them. We're not thieves."