Chapter 22: The Dark Water Spirit

A few days after the storm, Shoza approached Iroh to speak to him privately. He had been traveling with the General, the former Crown Prince of the Fire Nation, for years, but he did not feel any less intimidated by him, especially considering the nature of his request.

"General Iroh, sir, I know you'll soon be seeking a husband for Lady Chiara. It would be an honor to be considered in your search for a spouse for her."

Iroh was surprised by Shoza's request.

"I've been working with Lieutenant Jee, sir," he continued, "so that when we return to the Fire Nation, I can enlist as an officer in the Navy. I want to be able to advance in rank so I could be a worthy husband for her."

Iroh considered him a moment. "Shoza, a high rank does not necessarily mean a worthy husband. There are more important endeavors in life than rank. Whomever I choose for Lady Chiara must understand the treasure he will receive. I am not only giving him a beautiful, caring woman. I will be giving him a family—a wife and children that must be loved, that must be his world. There is no greater gift than one's own family."

Shoza was impressed by Iroh's words, and he realized they were spoken out of his experience of losing his wife and son.

"The poorest man could be more worthy than the highest ranking admiral if his love for his family is above all else," continued Iroh.

"I understand," said Shoza. "I'm sure I could love her and our children above everything."

"As a war orphan, her lineage cannot be traced," he admitted.

"I know, sir."

Iroh raised an eyebrow. "And you can accept that?"

"Yes, sir."

He suspected that Shoza did not fully consider the gravity of the situation. "If you were to discover one day that your wife was an earthbender or even a waterbender, that would not bother you?"

Shoza had not expected the question, and his eyes had briefly gone wide. He had never imagined such a situation, and he hesitated as he thought about it.

"Think hard," said Iroh. "There are many prejudices in the Fire Nation, and you being a firebender, how would you feel if you discovered that your wife hailed from another Nation? Could you still love her the same? And if so, where could you live without endangering her life or your own?"

"Is Chiara an earthbender or waterbender?" As he asked his question, he suspected Iroh would not tell him even if he knew.

"She was raised in the Fire Nation, so if she is a bender from another Nation she has hidden it quite well."

Shoza thought about Chiara. The last several years he had lived with her generosity and kindness. Nothing she had done ever led him to believe she was inferior or savage, but quite the contrary. He saw how much the man who had once been next in line to be the Fire Lord of their Nation cared for her despite her origin. "But...but if you, sir, the son of Fire Lord Azulon, were still willing to take her as your daughter, I'm still willing to take her as my wife, even if she is from another Nation."

Iroh was momentarily stunned by his words. A smile broke out on his face, and he laughed. "You are very wise, Shoza, and I can see you care for Chiara very much. Though I'm still not ready to give her hand, I will keep your proposal in mind."

"Thank you, General," he said bowing to him. "That's all I ask."

----------------------------------

They sailed on continuing their search for the Avatar. One afternoon, Chiara was on the bridge watching Iroh play Pai Sho with some of the crewmen, or as she would tease him later, "profiting off the inexperienced." Zuko was near the helm busy discussing their course with Lieutenant Jee.