Chapter 10: Home Again

Though Chief Arnook encouraged Iroh to leave Chiara with the Tribe, Iroh left the decision up to her, and the following week they left the North Pole together. They returned to the spa resort where they were able to book passage on a ship to the Fire Nation. On the last day of their voyage, they stood on the deck anxiously watching for their home on the horizon. As they sailed farther south, the smoke appeared first in the distance, followed by the volcanoes which began to grow taller as they drew closer. It had been a year since Chiara had been home, and nearly three that Iroh had been away. They grew more anxious as the ship sailed around Ember Island. Ahead of them rose a single statue marking the Great Gates of Azulon. Years earlier, Iroh brought Chiara and Lu Ten out to the sea entrance to see the gates lit up during one of the routine drills. She had found it exciting to see the wall of fire traverse the water. But now, Azulon stood alone, the net lying hidden in the water, and she could barely see the dragons on shore that held the other ends of the gate.

The ship began slowing down as they approached the Capital, but soon they were sailing between the towers that guarded the First Lord's Harbor. After arriving on the dock, they were taken uneventfully by carriage to Iroh's estate. Had he returned a year earlier when Prince Lu Ten's death was fresh on the minds of their people, there would have been a crowd to welcome him home. There were those who considered his abandonment of the Siege a failure, but to many he was still a hero and a sympathetic crowd would have gathered to greet him. But his return was not announced and few recognized their prince and general of the army.

Arriving at his manor, Ezih, Amiku, Tai, and the other servants happily welcomed them home. While Amiku fussed over both of them, Tai made them a long-missed homemade meal which was followed by tea in the garden. That evening, despite being in their comfortable beds after a long journey in which their sleeping conditions varied from luxurious to austere, both had trouble falling asleep, and when it did come, it was light and restless.

------------------------------------------

The next day Iroh went to the palace to pay honor to Fire Lord Ozai. Chiara went with him hoping to see Zuko while she was there. When they arrived, Iroh had Zuko called out. The young prince's eyes lit up when he saw them, though he was a bit surprised to see Iroh's gray hair, aged appearance, and larger belly as it had only been a few years since he had seen him last.

"Uncle!"

He ran to Iroh who embraced him. Iroh missed the days when he could pick his nephew up in his arms.

"You have grown so much, Nephew."

"So have you, Uncle," he replied.

Iroh chuckled and released him. "I suppose I have."

Zuko turned to Chiara who bowed respectfully and saluted him.

"Prince Zuko," she said softly. "I'm honored."

His eyes sparkled with amazement at how beautiful she looked with her long, black curls flowing around her and her mother's diadem, which she used to wear around her neck, now wrapped around her head, the silver sparkling as it wove through her dark locks. He returned her greeting with a perfectly executed bow before stepping closer to her and pulling her into a hug.

"I missed you," he said.

"I missed you too," she said holding on to him.

Iroh gently smiled at their reunion. "I will let you two catch up," he said before leaving to see Fire Lord Ozai.

Zuko took Chiara's hand.

"Come on, let's go out to the garden," he said as he led her through the palace. "I got your last letter saying you were coming home. I couldn't wait."