Chapter 39: Secret Revealed

That night when they arrived home, Chiara had dinner ready for them, and after eating she performed her usual routine of cleaning the dishes and kitchen. While she was busy, Zuko looked at Iroh.

"So, Uncle...," he said softly. "...um...is there anything I need to do?"

Iroh looked at him with a puzzled expression.

"Test...," he whispered.

"Oh," said Iroh. "Right, right." He stood up, and after adding water to a teapot, he looked at Zuko. "Follow me."

Zuko followed him into his bedroom where he knelt at a small table. He looked up at Zuko and motioned for him to kneel on the other side, and then he placed the teapot on a burner stand between them.

"What is Chiara's favorite tea?"

Zuko looked lost. He now realized his worry about the test was justified because he did not know her favorite tea. As far as he could remember she always drank what was placed before her, but he never recalled her requesting any specific kind. Or maybe she did, and he just never paid attention. He was sure he was not going to pass this test.

"Uh...she...appreciates...all tea?" he said unsure of what to say.

Iroh stared at him. Zuko started feeling more nervous, but then Iroh cracked the smallest of smiles.

"Of course she does; she's my daughter. But she does have a preference."

"She always just made her own or drank what you made," he said feeling frustrated, but trying to remain calm. "I don't remember her saying what her favorite is."

"Chiara," called Iroh.

Stopping her work, she walked to his room and opened his door.

"What is Zuko's favorite tea?" he asked her.

"He usually drinks ginger if he has a choice," she answered, though she was puzzled by the question as he was sitting right there. "Do you need me to bring you some?"

"No. That was all. Thank you."

She went back to the kitchen. Zuko looked down feeling ashamed that he did not know her favorite tea, but she knew his.

"She favors chamomile with a touch of mint," said Iroh. He pulled out two small containers from a chest and placed them on the table. "I'm going to reveal to you the secret to making Chiara's favorite tea."

Zuko sighed to himself as he remembered her reaction to the last time he made tea while Iroh was recovering from Azula's attack. At this point he thought an easier test might be breaking into the palace and kidnapping the king of Ba Sing Se.

"Heat the water," said Iroh.

Zuko looked down at the table. "Where are the spark rocks?"

"Use your own flame."

He looked at his uncle. "Are you sure?"

Iroh nodded. "You will make her tea with your own fire."

Zuko produced a flame in his hand and he held it underneath the teapot. Iroh moved his hand down just a bit adjusting the distance between the flame and the pot.

"It will be more than just tea," he said. "It will contain a part of you, your warmth. It will be by your own work, your own power that this tea is made for her."

Zuko's lip curled just slightly as he realized his uncle had taken something so ordinary as tea and made it into something so personal.

"How long does it take?" he asked.